Kindergartner riding the bus?

Would you allow your first born to ride the bus to and from school everyday once they start kindergarten?

I am pretty worried I'll admit!

My oldest is going to be starting school in the fall and I am torn if i should let her ride the bus or just pick her up (Stay at home Mom). I just worry what will happen if she gets off at the wrong stop, gets on the wrong bus, misses her bus from school or something along those lines.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a child who started K this year & she has been riding all year. She's not my oldest. My oldest is now 20 but yes I put him on the bus too. The bus driver will not let the little ones get off on the wrong stop. And there are monitors & helpers at the school that help & guide the little ones to the correct bus. For the first 2 weeks they wore little badges with their bus number attached so everyone knew where they should go. It really doesnt take that long for the little ones to remember their correct bus number. I wait at the stop every day with her to get one & am there when she arrives as well. The stop is few houses down from here. I know its a big step (for both of you!) but you can do it!
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 9:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Mine dont rise the bus ever. I am a sahm and I figure I can pick up and drop off. I just dont trust anyone else with my kids but me.

Answer by gemgem at 9:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• DD is my one and only. She is currently in pre-school. It's her second full year. The first year I felt she was just too little to be riding the bus, but this year I allow her to ride the bus home. She absolutely loves it. She likes to sit in the front seat with an older girl and she talks about the games they play and things they draw...

Our school puts little tags on the backpacks and the driver checks them to make sure the kid is on the right bus and that they are getting off at the right stop. If you are really concerned, talk to the teachers/drivers beforehand to see how they do it. Maybe the first few times, you can actually follow the bus with your daughter and point out THIS is where you will get off and mommy will be waiting right here for you.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my dd starts school in august and there is no way i'll let her ride the bus, i'm nervous enough about her being at school w/o me lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My oldest didn't ride the bus in kinder. Actually I didn't put her on the bus til she was in 2nd grade. However that year I put my 2nd oldest, then in kinder, on the bus with her. Do what you and your child are most comfortable with.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Want to add that my daughter doesn't have any siblings on this bus. My other kids are in middle & high school now & my youngest is only 4.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 9:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I let my son ride the bus in kindergarten, but the difference was that we're Army and we lived on post so he got on the bus that only ran in our housing area and a couple nearby. He had a tag that he had to wear around his neck until he got used to it that had some of his information on it (like his teacher, school, parents' names and phone number) just in case something happened and he got off at the wrong stop, but I always made sure to meet him at the bus stop so if he didn't get off, I could ask the bus driver to call for him and send him out. I had it a bit easier because the bus didn't make so many different stops being that we were a small Army community. If it hadn't been for that, I would be just as nervous as you are. Check into their bus system to see how things work and decide if it's something you could feel comfortable with. I'm sure she'll be just fine. My son LOVED riding the bus :)
    SpiffySnaps

Answer by SpiffySnaps at 9:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my oldest is starting kindergarten in 2012, and i will still be a stay at home mom at that time for my two younger daughters. she will not be riding the bus until i decide to go back to work, which wont be until my youngest starts school. but nevertheless, the elementary school is literally a mile from my home, so they could walk and by the time my youngest starts, my oldest will be 8 or 9 and i would trust the 3 of them to walk home together safely by then. however this is all hypothetical, im not sure how its really going to go 5 years from now.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• our school is like 20 minutes away and I have no idea how many stops there will be.. country life lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My oldest started kindergarden the past fall and it wasn't that bad. I am also a stay at home mom. I was afraid of the samethings, but it wasn't tht bad. She has gotten on the right bus. I am not sure of other schools, but my dd;s school since most kindergardeners don't know numbers yet they go by colors. I guess they hold a sign in front of their bus of a color so the kids know what bus to get on. My dd is on blue bus. And she is the last stop so it is pretty easier for her to know what bus stop to get off at lol. I took her to school the first day.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011