Do people have souls? and if so, where do they come from?

I just recently read an interesting article on this topic. The article is very long, and very technical, but it asks, and tries to answer a few questions. If one believes in evolution, and life evolved along a continuum, than at what point did human life become imbibed with a soul? Also, if the soul did evolve as a natural process, or was later inserted by a divine being, at what point does a human body become imbibed with it's soul? Is it at conception? The article points out that recent studies have shown that nearly 70 - 80% of fertilized eggs are lost naturally, either before implantation, or later due to spontaneous abortion. (the women aren't aware that they were ever pregnant) Would that mean that 80% of souls are lost before they even have a chance? What do you think?

If you wish to read the article, you can find it here.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=library&page=silverbqp2

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 6:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• :)
    http://www.carm.org/chapel/pre_adamic.htm
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I see the "soul" as merely a combination of our knowledge, feelings, experiences, and interpretations of it all. It's our "Inner consciousness". Naturally, then, when inside the body as an embryo we don't Have any experiences or conscious knowledge so no "soul" As we grow so does our "soul"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Love this question can't wait to read the answers. This is my take on soles: I sole is formed by the creator (God(s) or whatever you call him/her) it is assigned a purpose, reason to live which (what that is we just never know) The sole now has to chose the parents that will allow him/her to full it's purpose. So it waits and chooses a mother and father. If the body that sole was to enter is broken or is aborted the sole then has the choice either a) wait till a new body is formed then come back in that mother's body or b) wait for another mother that will provide the same situations for it to fill it purpose. So I feel when you miscarry that only a pregnancy is lost not a child that child's sole comes back to you the next time you get pregnant.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I just want to add I had a Jewish friend who told me that Jews can have abortions but they have a very short window because the sole isn't there right off the bat. I guess that means it is somewhere in the first 5 books of the old Testament it covers this. If somebody Jewish posts here I'm sure they would be able to give the verse and chapter. When she told me she probably did but it was a long time ago.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I really like your answer Kristi! But do you feel like once your gone, your soul lives on, or does it die with you?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Your Memory lives on, in your children and loved ones, for a time. But since you're no longer conscious, no longer learning new things, experiencing emotions, etc. NO your soul does not live on.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Human beings ARE souls. Breath + body = living soul, Biblically speaking anyway. ( Genesis 2:7)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Even though I believe in reincarnation. I still like your answer Kristi.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Of course we have souls. When God created us he gave us souls.
    Anonymous

• Souls are exactly what Kristi said. There is absolutly nothing "divine" about our inner core, lol.

And, who said God created us?? Didn't we evolve? Or rather, aren't they both THEORIES?????
    Anonymous