Muffins for my 4 year old...help me decide! :)

My boy is very picky about eating fruits and vegetables, so I've gotten some recipes for veggie muffins and I want to combine 2-3 different veggies/fruits per recipe. On hand I have bananas, frozen strawberries, apples, zucchini, yellow squash (I should have gotten butternut now that I think about it) and carrots. So I'm thinking apples and carrots for one, carrots and zucchini... I know banana and strawberry would be good, should I add a veggie to that? Which one? What other combinations do you think would work? What are some that I don't have listed here? If your kids have had them, what do they enjoy?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is also a very picky eater. I had not thought about putting veggies in, but I puree fruits and add them to muffins all the time. His favorite are blueberry and raspberry. As well as adding applesauce (it's an easy replacement for oil). Although raspberries have seeds (he generally won't eat seedy things) he likes that the raspberry muffins turn out a purplish color - thinks it's just hilarious!

Sounds like you have excellent combinations picked out already, sweet potatoes are also a delicious option that most kids like.
    enohp04

Answer by enohp04 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• When I was young, my mother would cut vegetables into things so tiny that you could barely taste them or see them. Vegetables in muffins just sounds disgusting lol And she also put vegetables in EVERYTHING we ate, and if we didn't like it, we didn't eat. He'll get hungry enough to eat some time right? Don't let him win by being picky.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• What a tasty idea!!! :) I want to make some! lol Where do you get your recipes from? Do you have like a basic muffin recipe that you follow and just add the fruits/veggies as you want?

What about zuchinni & apple
    strawberry zuchinni?
    banana carrot?

Have fun!!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'd do carrots, strawberries bananas togther.

I might also do all the veggies and combine with rasins.

Also, the bakery at my grocery store makes pineapple zucchini muffins...soooooo tasty. They might have cranberries in them too, i can't remember. Fresh cranberries work just fine in muffins if you don't want to use the dried ones.

You might also want to try parsinps, apples, and rasins. A parsnip is like a cross between a carrot and a potato. They look like white carrots and they kind of taste like sweet potatoes. I've never had one in a muffin but they are my new favorite roasting veggie.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I didn't know there was a picky eaters group! (I should have!!) I just joined the group because my son has about six things he will eat... Thanks for the tip (even if you didn't know you were giving one!)
    Be sure to let us know how the muffins turn out, and what his favorite are :)
    enohp04

Answer by enohp04 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Spinach & kale are excellent adds, chop them fine, they have pretty much no flavor if there will be fruit in too. I'd put in as much as possible into every batch!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• What kind of squash are you wanting to improve the taste of? Butternut squash you could use butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Acorn - the same and maybe add some apples, nutmeg or ground cloves. Spaghetti squash - butter and parmesan cheese. So tasty! I am not a big fan of summer squashes so I don't know about those.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Great idea, but I don't think my kids would eat them. Maybe if you put chocolate chips in?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• tomatos and carrots are good with almost any other fruit or vedgie.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Zucchini bread was always a staple when I was growing up. And carrot cake can be spruced up with raisins. Don't forget pumpkin. Great source of fiber. My toddlers love my pumpkin mufins. And applesauce does sweeten up a lot of veggies and helps you to hide them. Are you familiar with Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food by Jessica Seinfeld? I also try to hide veggies in spaghetti and lasagna. I blend spinach with chicken and spread on pitas....Does your lttle one like avocado/guacamole? Keep trying. I also hear kids need to try something up to 10 times before they truly decide if they like it.

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011