Is this tacky?

My fiance and I are getting married next May. We have a guest list of 30 people (if everyone RSVP's yes). We want a simple ceremony and no reception (as we don't need anything extravagant and can't afford it anyways). Small & short ceremony in a church with our son as best man, oldest daughter as maid of honor and youngest daughter as flower girl. The 5 of us are going out to dinner afterwards and want to tell ceremony guests they are more than welcome to join us, but it will be on their own dime as we aren't having a reception. No gifts are expected either. Is this tacky?

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Just let everyone know. I would only invite people who I am really close with and aren't *fancy pants* lol. My family and clsoe friends would be just fine with that.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 11:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would say yes. If you invite people out to dinner, common courtesy dictates that you should pay for all of those who are invited. If you want to get everyone together to celebrate your nuptials, why not have a potluck reception? I have been to a few, and they were really nice. Pretty inexpensive too.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Make sure everyone knows beforehand.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Man I wish all weddings were like this...lol GL and have a beautiful wedding day.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would say have a BBQ at a park or something and invite your guests to come, if they make the effort to come, get dressed up an support you, you could probably have it for pretty cheap,, I don't think it is tacky, but it seems like 30 people are all people who love and support you,, plus you have no idea who would come out to dinner and who wouldn't,, if all 30 come along, it might be too much for a restaraunt to handle without notce,,,,happy wedding!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• No I dont think so
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Personally I dont think so but my mil would disagree lol. That was our plan and she said that was a no no and if we invited someone out after we had to pay. We ended up having our reception at a restaurant with a limit menu and my parents and inlaws paid for it.

Answer by gemgem at 9:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Not at all.

Answer by older at 9:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I say as long as they know up front that you're not paying
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 10:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks for all the advice! The restaurant we're going to is Olive Garden and I called to check to see if they could handle a wedding party of this size. They said sure, all we had to do was call the morning of and let them know how many people would be coming and at what time. We're also having the wedding cake sent to the restaurant so everyone will be able to enjoy that.
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011