Egg Allergy??

does your child have a egg allergy?? if they do, were they still able to get the MMR vaccine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• My child did and he got it anyway but that was before we knew and he got severely sick. They can separate it
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• what happened??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I myself am allergic to eggs and I had that shot. I was down for 3 weeks with severe flu like symptoms. (I was also given a flu shot)
    LadyStork

Answer by LadyStork at 10:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My child is not egg allergic, but I have several friends who are. Some of them get the MMR. Some don't. Ask your allergist for advice on this. They can break the shot out into it's components - meaning a separate shot for Measles, a 2nd for Mumps and a 3rd for rubella. I want to say the individual shots were not cultured in egg. Others got the shot but rec'd it in the allergist office and were monitored for reaction.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• they said they can have my son get it in the hospital....but that kind of scares me because....its show it could really cause a problem.....what would happen if there was a problem like...what would the DR's do?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• OP - it would depend on what the problem was. Your son could have an allergic reaction not to the vaccine itself but to any potential egg protein lingering in the vaccine base from when it was cultured. The doctor's would be treating an allergic reaction if there was one. That said, here's what FAAN has to say bout it:
    http://www.foodallergy.org/page/egg-allergy
    Can an MMR Vaccine be given to an individual with an egg allergy?
    The recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) acknowledge that the MMR vaccine can be safely administered to all patients with egg allergy. The AAP recommendations have been based, in part, on scientific evidence supporting the routine use of one-dose administration of the MMR vaccine to egg-allergic patients. This includes those patients with a history of severe, generalized anaphylactic reactions to egg.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Here's another article to look over:
    http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=163&title=Is_the_flu_vaccine_safe_for_egg_allergy

although that's about the flu shot not the MMR.

IN the end, I think it comes down to your comfort level after the input of your doctors.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011