You know you aren't supposed to do it, so why do you?!

That is the question I just asked my 5 year-old as she was banging a marker on our 100 year-old soft oak table. WHY?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Just for Fun

• And if I were you I would say something more along the lines of "Ima whoop your little ass if you do that again!" I'm sure she'll think twice lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• She is testing you or wants your attention. She wants to see what you will do if she gets in trouble, because she probably has more devious plans.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've recently had this conversation with another mother..she says its because there are no consequences for bad behavior and she knows she is guilty of this. Her example, and not anywhere close to yours, she tells her kids every single day several times a day to not slide down the banister. Within 5 minutes the same child is again sliding down the banister and all she does is repeat what she's already said a millions times "Don't slide down the banister". She knows if there was some consequence for it the children wouldn't do it. She's of course right.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• She wants attention
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• She had my full attention until I sent her to her room for beating up the poor table
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• She's probably testing the waters to see how much you will take before you punish her. My little one does the same thing, he even looks at me while he is doing something that he should not be doing.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It's called pushing boundaries. Some kids push harder & further than others to see where mom's breaking point is.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I agree, its pushing boundaries. I usually only have to give my daughter "the look" and she stops what she's doing.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011