Help my baby sleeeeeeep!

Ok.. I'm not one of those people that mind waking up with their baby, but my son is 11mths and takes naps wonderfully. I take him up, lay him down and he plays then falls asleep. However, as soon as night time comes, that's all over! He will not sleep then when he does, usually after i hold him a few min, he wakes up 2 times EVERY NIGHT. I have tried EVERYTHING. What could be wrong? What can i do?

JenzAmomOf2

Asked by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What do you do when he wakes up in the night? Help him go back to sleep? Just let him cry? Give him a bottle?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• During the night i give him a bottle and he goes right back to sleep.. I thought i needed to feed him more during the day or for his last bottle, so tried that and NO.. didn't matter. Tried making his bottles less, to wean him off it,, NO didnt work.. ahhhhhh
    JenzAmomOf2

Comment by JenzAmomOf2 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Just two times?? I wish my baby one woke me up two times a night! Try keeping him him awake in the evenings, and keep to a routine, we like to bath him at about 9pm, then bottle, then bed!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 10:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• So it sounds like he doesn't quite have a hang of how to get back to sleep once he wakes up.

One thing you might try is to hold a soft toy or small blanket next to his face (or somewhere he can feel it) everytime he has a bottle during the day and when you're holding him having tender moments throughout the day. For a few nights use the blanket or toy during the night feedings too. He'll start to associate the item with the warm cozy feeling he gets when you feed him. Then comes the hard part...when he wakes in the night just give him the blanket or toy and hold him. He'll cry, but he'll go back to sleep eventually. Then, after a few days when he calms after just being held, don't pick him up at all...just give him the blanket or toy. Again, he'll cry but after about 3 days he'll probably be able to wake up, look for the item, and go back to sleep. The whole process will probably take 10-14 days.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• He's quite normal, actually. Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley for reassurance.

Only thing "wrong" here is your expectation... part of the Mommy Contract specifies that you don't get a full night... ever again... **grin** You're doing FINE.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2011