Who to trust? Jewelry repair.

I have a very nice set of South Seas Blue Baroque Pearls that were given to me by a wonderful woman whom I aided for years (she was friend I met through the theatre district - not any kind of client or something). Anyhow, they seriously need to be re-stranded; but because of their value I'm scared to death to leave then with a jeweler.....

Everyone I've talked to mentions "sending them off" which makes me more uncomfortable. Am I just being too paranoid about someone stealing them or "swapping them for fakes" on me?
(the value of the necklace has been estimated between $8K & $10K$ and they are insured for 15K)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I take all of mine to Kays at the mall and take photos of any imperfections, count the number of pearls and make sure i know them inside and out!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Do some online research. You can easily type in "Best jewelry repair near Boston" and it would pop right up, They even have customer reviews which i find very helpful.

i don't know where you live, but type that in the search engine with your city & state.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If they are insured what is the problem? if you give them to someone to be re stranded and they steal or replace them with fakes, you can claim on the insurance.

Answer by older at 10:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Your brave to even wear something that expensive, look for a private jeweler, who specializes in repair,, it is going to be hard for anyone to swap them,, much different than a diamond. Those places in the mall probably would send it off, and I would not go there, make sure who ever does it is going to do it themselves,, what a lovely gift!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If you go to a reputable chain jeweler, they send it out to a good repair person. If you want it done in-house, research local places, do some research on yelp and Google.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The problem - Older - is that these are worth more to me sentimentally than financially. If I wanted money I could sell them and not be worried with protecting or insuring them. This woman was a dear friend. This was a gift from her - and was a gift TO her by her only husband on their 30th anniversary ~ he passed away that same year. They're not just precious in monetary value, they're precious to me because of her ~ it's important to me that they are preserved out of respect for her and honor for the affection she held for me. Not everything is about $$.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Where are you at?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Texas (east - far east - near Louisiana)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You find a reputable local jeweler and talk to their repair person face to face. A lot of the major chains send their items to another store for repair.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If you have any craft shows, or craft fairs at metro area parks this spring go there, and find an Independent jewelry maker, or beader. Beaders can restring pearls, when you can find one who works with all jewelry materials like beads, silver, gemstones and pearls.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011