First Word

I'm a little concerned, my son will be 13 months on the 10th and he still hasn't said a single word yet. Should he be saying anything at all? I read to him and stuff, so what can i do to help it along and should i get his hearing checked

ClvDandJ

Asked by ClvDandJ at 6:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yea he should be babbling atleast and saying momma or dada. You can ask your pediatrician and ask them to screen his hearing.

Answer by gemgem at 6:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my son was like that....he didnt really start talking until he was 18 months and now he never stops lol...and my DD says a few words here and there kitty and uh oh are her favorite
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Take a couple of objects every day like stuffed animals, toys, or pictures and point them out to him and repeat them throughout the day. Enunciation was the key with my daughter. Make the words fun to say. You don't exactly have to use a funny voice, just something that grabs his attention. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Define word? Does he babble? Is he the strong, silent type? Is he attempting to communicate with you? And most importantly, Does he turn his head when you talk to him? If he acknowledges you and you have a good idea of what he needs, relax a bit. It will come.
    Boys tend to actually talk a bit slower than girls. If he is communicating, babbling, laughing and generally getting along just fine, give it some time.
    If you are can't eat, can't sleep worried, give your ped a call for some reassurance. Odds are, they'll tell you the same thing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2008