Breastfed baby question

I did not breastfeed, but my sister does. She wants to know if her intake of caffeine will pass onto the baby, making her more gassy and likely to spit up.

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 10:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 6 weeks, their systems are very unstable. My breastfed kids spit up as much as my formula fed baby. Maybe more. Some kids just have trouble in the beginning. It will get better soon. 6 weeks was a tough time for me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Only the caffeine would pass and only if she drinks more than 5 cups a day (it would keep the baby up). Very rarely does a mother's diet effect her baby, it's more likely she has a gassy baby that spits up.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It is possible. The intake of caffiene can make them cranky or hyper. It can also affect your milk supply.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Also, tell her to try cutting out dairy. DS had that problem, and as soon as I cut out diary, it all went away. Same for a friend of mine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Dairy is more likely the culprit. Caffeine though probably isn't a good idea. If all else fails, try the elimination diet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Its possible. But it never bothers my daughter, shes 9 1/2 months old.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Gassiness and spit up, unlikely. But consider that the half-life of caffeine in a newborn is 70 hours (it does pass through breastmilk). For a 6 month old, the half life is reduced to about 6 hours. So if the baby is very young, she really should avoid caffeine for awhile.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My neice spits up pretty often, I'd say as much as my formula fed babies did. She was wondering if there's anything she can change in her diet to alter that. I don't know much about breastfeeding and diets, lol.
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• She is 6 weeks old :) I will tell her, thanks!
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Idk..I guess anything is possible,lol
    I drink about 2 cups of coffee a day and sometimes a pepsi too ( I know, its horrible..but I need caffien to function with all these kids,LOL)
    I have no problem at all with the baby having gas or spitting up.
    And Until recently I exclusivley breastfed for the past 6 months.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2011