My son thinks he's a dog...

DS is very close to being 23 months old and he is an only child. He has paly dates now and then but not offten. There aren't a lot of children around here his age. He's going to be going to the colleges daycare center this fall but it's a while away.

So our dog, a 12 year old German Shorthair named Kaiser, is his bf. Since DS was a few months old he has loved this dog. He started panting like a dog when he was 4 months old. He hides in places the dog does. He puts snacks and things on the floor so he can eat them with only his mouth. He picks up toys with his mouth and carries them around shaking them like a dog.

He won't go outside, read a book with out the dog , and even has tried to get the dog in the bath tub with him. The dog loves him too. He lets DS run cars and trucks all over him. Snuggles on the floor with him and trys to sleep in DS's car bed with him. If someone he doesn't know comes by the fence when DS is outside the dog puts himself between them and DS. He used to try for everyones attention. No matter who they were.

Just as I was typeing this DS came in with water all over his face. i asked him to show me where he was playing in the water and he showed me the dog bowl. He won't eat the dogs food though. But he does share everythign eats with the dog.

I think most of this is cute but I wonder if having a dog as his best friend may harm him socially??

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nah, he will grow out of it, let him enjoy his buddy time for now
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My son was a little like that and we didn't even have a dog! Your son has a wonderful imagination. He knows he's not a dog. But keep pushing regular games too. Good luck, he sounds adorable.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• There is no evidence that it would harm him. Why do u think they call a dog mans best friend?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My DD is the same way, except she thinks she's a cat. It's just a phase, and it will stop when they are around other kids more often.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I was just worried I was harming him some how socially.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. When my daughter was that age, she did similar antics :o) Too cute! When we went to the grocery store she used to ask us to by her dog food (never really ate it). She's grown out of it now, but she still loves our doggy :o)
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 10:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Better keep him away from my daughter who thinks she's a cat, lol!!!

All joking aside, he won't be affected socially. It's no different than having a best friend that's a stuffed animal or even an imaginary friend. Let him be a kid and pretend :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• LOL!!! How cute :)
    Well..I'll tell ya this. I have a 2 year old and I babysit an almost two year old.
    We have cats here.My 2 year old thinks shes a cat.
    The little girl I babysit, they have a dog.She thinks shes a dog.
    They bark, they meow, they run around the house like a nut pretending they are a cat and a dog.
    I don't think thats harming your child socially...I think he is creative, imaginative and its great that he has such a close relationship with an animal..I think that makes thier hearts bigger! Maybe he'll grow up and be a veternarian one day...or a dog whisperer..you never know! awww...so so cute. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• kimberlyinberea- That IS adorable! I think you are right it does make their heart bigger.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks for your sons story, it made my day.

Just too cute!

He will be fine and have a grat friend.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2011