My 2 yr old eats like a bird, how can I make him eat more?!

he is so tiny. he has been under the 10th percentile in weight since birth

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 10:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some kids are small. My DD ate like a horse and was still under the 5th percentile for weight until she was about 8. Then she gained 11 lbs in a year!

You can't make him eat more. You can make sure that he isn't just drinking milk (and juice for some) because it is very filling and doesn't give everything he now needs.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You can't make them eat, but, you can provide opportunities to eat loads of healthy filling foods.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My 4th son, who will be 12 months on the 22nd is still only in the 1 percentile and he was born at a healthy weight. I just encouraged him to eat foods like pasta and added a little butter and olive oil to it.  Whatever i could add butter or olive oil to i did and he gradually began to gain weight. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've come to notice with my 2year 7month old he eat's like a bird but frequently so I started carrying healthy snacks and at home I give him his normal three meals but then I threw out the day give him additional snacks but I try to make his normal meals smaller so that if he's really hungry he'll eat more... I wish you luck and hopes this helps a little bit
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You can try giving more meals..smaller in quanity throughout the day..making sure each one is healthy.
    Also..all kids are different..I can't stand that scale they go by at the dr. office. What the heck does it mean anyway? As long as he is strong, healthy, happy...thats great!
    My daughter is a real finicky eater...and she is a tiny thing..in a low percentile for weight.But what she does eat is (mostly) healthy so I'm not worried.
    Good Luck mama!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Some kids are just little like that. My daughter has averaged the 10% percent weight since birth. She is also in the 75% for height. Tall and skinny just like her dad. Her pediatrician isn't worried at all. He said he would prefer to see kids skinny than over weight. He also said that as long as she stays on her own growth curve she is fine. Toddlers will not starve themselves. They will eat when they are hungry.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 1:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011