Can you overcome anorexia by yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Health

• I would say no, you need professional help in order to heal.

Answer by older at 10:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Not usually, it is a mental disorder that usually needs the help of a psychiatrist/psychologist that specializes in eating disorders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• No, I do not believe one can all by themselves. They would at least need a good support system in place to help encourage better eating habits.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Suggest a doc.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• well honestly it depends on how strong of a person you are... I over came it and am doing really well at it... plus I have support from my friends and family which makes it all the better ...
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If you have the type of mind that can overcome the obsessive thoughts regarding eating and appearance, yes. You need to focus on changing your behavior, say you notice every time you go to eat something you think "but it has so many calories!" instead you need to think "no, do not think that" and think something else instead "this is going to taste great!" or "I need this to be healthy". It would take A LOT of effort to overcome on your own, but if you are committed to changing your current thinking patterns, are able to notice them when they happen and replace them with better thoughts, yes, one could overcome an eating disorder on one's own. BUT if you try and are failing, then you know it's time to find professional help.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It would depend on the person and how long they have suffered from the disorder, I would think that medical intervention would be the best route.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes you can.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• No. When you get deep enough into the world of anorexia you need someone to show you how to be healthy again. Many times I thought I was doing so much better but realized I was still starving myself (in other words, I thought I was eating A LOT but I was eating very little).
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 11:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It depends on how much self-control and self-discipline you have. If you have the will and the drive to get better and become healthy again, then you can do it without a doctor. What I DO recommend is surrounding yourself with people who can stand by you and help you get better. A support group of loving friends and family make a world of difference when you're trying to overcome something so great.

I used to be a cutter some years ago and it was my friends who helped me stop.. not a doctor. Cutting is related to depression and anxiety and while I still have both, the levels aren't nearly as high as they were and I can function like a "normal" person. This was achieved by the support of my friends and family, not a doctor.

Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011