Medical Billing / Transcriptionist

Is anyone currently in this field? My sister is planning to get into this and it's a $2600 investment. I just wanted to find out more as statistics showed the majority of professionals are mothers either working from home or a doctors office. Any input/advice?

Hokanani

Asked by Hokanani at 6:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Money & Work

• for the most part you need to work in a dr office first or hospital. No one wants to hire someone fresh out of school, so make sure she gets some kind of job doing billing while she is still in school and gets her teachers to write her references
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Excuse me? I worked as a Medical Transcriptionist. I pounded the pavement with Resume in hand and found my work local. All I owned was a medical dictionary, a word processing program and a cassette player.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• And I was talking to Hoka. Not you Works4...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• A good friend of mine does medical transcription at home. She lives in a big city too, so you would think that there was a lot of work to be had but.....it was so hard for her to find a doctors office willing to give a newbie a chance. One obstacle she had was that a lot of doctors wanted her to work AT the office, but she didn't have any office experience. Well she didn't have any at home experience either. She also had gone to school for training for it. Eventually she found a private investigator who needed a transcriptionist. After working for him for a few years, she found someone who owned a "transcription company", so this woman found the work, the doctors paid HER and then she paid the transcriptionists. She's been doing it this way ever since.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I just passed my certification for medical billing and I am looking for a job and it is very hard. If you have the experience, there a lots of jobs out there and the pay is good but, it is just a matter of getting your foot in the door. I actually went to college and it cost me 6 times that amount! You mentioned doctor's offices but there are also a lot of jobs in hospitals and "durable medical equipment" that call for medical billers. As far work at home, be careful not to fall for scams that sell you expensive software.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 10:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I was going to become a transcriptionist but then i learned that many doctors are switching to electronic records, which makes the transcriptionist useless. I ended up doing billing for a doctor's office where one doctor still used a person to do his records and the new young doctor used electronic. He typed everything right into the computer in each exam room and printed it out at the end of the appt. Every doctor I've been to since has used that same method, so I'm glad I didn't spend the money!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My cousin is a transcriptionist for an orthopedic. It seems as though those doctors are the ones needing it the most. She was lucky enough to know someone who was moving and needed to replace her. Otherwise, finding a job was beyond difficult! It's always about who you know, isn't it? Not very nice..... that stinks!!! If she has the time to put into her schooling, then she may want to put her time into a high paying MLM with great products, or Referral Marketing. That's what I do now, and it's been working great for me :o).

smboutique

Answer by smboutique at 8:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I'm a medical transcriptionist. I took a course from home when I was pregnant; that was 5 years ago. Currently I make about $1,200 per month with one doctor; I have another account that will be starting soon and that should bring in another $3,000 per month.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2008