Baby shower $

If I'm being thrown a surprise baby shower, but the hostessess knew that the only requirement i wanted was for it not to be at someone's house.
Suppose they can't really afford to pay to rent a place, and I'm asked to pay for the cost of renting a place (about $400), is that lack of etiquette on their part? or is it expected for me to chip in if something's not afforded?

Serenity611

Asked by Serenity611 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• if you know about it it's not a surprise anymore and I think you should be grateful you are even getting one and not sweat the details.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Your requirement is for it to not be at a house. It would be free if it were at someone's house. Yeah I think it's the right thing to do to either pay up or not care where they hold it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Why does it matter? If thats your request then it wouldnt be unfair for you to chip in. What about your house? Saying because then all the gifts are already there no having to haul it all home
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't get why you would want to make these people who love you and want to throw you a shower to pay $400 and not just have it at someones house......my mind can't comprehend. I guess since that's your very expensive requirement I would say you should pay for it or take whatcha can get! hope it all works out
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 11:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• if you are demanding that it not be at someones house then yeah, you should be the one paying..other wise..let them take care of it and just be happy they are being thoughtful. it doesnt sound like its a surprise if you are dictating what everyone is doing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks for the responses that actually answer my quetion.

I didnt ask for anyone's opinion about where it should be, nor do i need anyone telling me that i should be grateful.
    My preference is my preference. I would have planned it myself however they insisted on planning it for me, which I am very gratefulf or, however it's still my preference. If i were planning someone's shower, I would never hold it at someone's house. It's cheap but i also think it's tacky. So i would be prepared to pay for it. I asked a simple question for a straight answer. If you can't answer the question without putting your judgments or what you think i should do then don't answer.
    Serenity611

Comment by Serenity611 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would be thankful that someone was willing to throw a shower for me at all, who cares where it is? I think $400 could buy ALOT of baby stuff,,,,just be gracious, and if your dead set on it not being at a home (WHY?) perhaps have it at a park?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Why is it tacky to have it at someone's house?
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If you are saying that it can't be at someone's house, then you should pay for it. You can't tell your friends your shower must be at a $400 location. Does anyone live in a condo? Sometimes they have club houses. That is where we had my sisters.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think, since you don't want it at someone's house, you should pay for the place. They are already throwing you a shower.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2011