Have you ever thought about what "man" considers...

a good person and what God considers a good person? We all have (probably) said, well I am a good person and blah blah. Have you ever considered the difference in the two? Have you ever thought, wow maybe I really am not a good person and I have alot of changing to do? Are there big differences in God's good person and "man's" good person? What are your thoughts on this? I am a Christian and have really begun to think that I am not as good as I seem to think I am lol.

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Grace, it's called God's grace.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Nope, never considered it.

I could give two tinkers toots what either thinks of me.

I believe in a higher being(well beings) but I believe they arent sitting there in judgement of my every action and debating whether its good enough for them to let me into the "gate" or not.

I believe they know Im a good person(which I am)and that I try my best daily to keep being good and correct myself when I screw up(cuz I do) and that works for them. They just have more important things to do then sit and judge and make notes and freak if I dont follow their rules and stuff like the Christian God does.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Never considered it because I believe God is man-made and just an idea. Thus I don't care what "God" says a good person is as he is not real and his "standards" change according to whoever you are talking to.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am a good person by human standards. I don't acknowledge the unrealistic expectations of a mythical deity.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have never thought I am not a good person....even by some gods standards. I know I am a good person...my heart is full of love and it is what leads my life.
    I am a giving, caring, thoughtful person and I'm sure any kind of a god would agree:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Moses was a murderer, incestuous, a rapist, a kidnapper and had anger-management issues. King David was a polygamist, an adulterer, a murderer, and an exhibitionist. Gideon (of the Gideon bible society) was a mass murderer, a rapist, a kidnapper and polygamist. Are we sensing a theme here? Those whom god considered good and holy were men that would be locked up in prison in modern society. And who should be!! Man is doing a better job of judging good and evil than god could.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I believe being a good person is the same for both God and our own understanding. The idea of humanity - of compassion, kindness, love and graciousness - those things that make up what it means to be humane, those are the things I think God wishes of us, so in cultivating our own humanity and goodness, we are also drawing closer to His own character and plans for ourselves. I believe we are all born with this goodness and humane-ness innately in us, and all have the potential to cultivate it, whether within a religious context or not, and that in doing so we can be a good person in both ways of understanding...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• not too much. as far as God (my God, of Abraham and the Bible) is concerned, i know his idea of 'good' is different than mortals. many people are great neighbors, self-sacrificing, givers of their time/talents/resources, great parents, etc., and that's awesome! and my God thinks so, too. IMO, the only difference is he wishes they would love him back and believe in him. that doesn't make them non-good, just makes them mortals who reject God and his love. my God's commandment is that we love him, and our neighbors. some choose to skip that first part. (this could very well go into another thread, so its hard to explain without hijacking, or pissing off non-God of Abraham-believers...i can't remember who they want to be referred. lol!)
    everyone can be good, or has the capacity to be good.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am good by my standards and that's all I care about. If i'm not good enough for some god then oh well. LOL Witchqueen. You made me spit my Dr. Pepper out my nose. Not kewl.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• "like the Christian God does."

or, rather, like many Christians believe the Christian God does - since not all of us see Him that way ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2011