Question about dollar store tests...

Can they be taken before AF is due and still get a positive? I know that First Response and alike claim they can tell before AF is due. Is the same true for these tests, or should I wait to take those ones?

lamr

Asked by lamr at 6:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Well they are only a buck so it can't really hurt to try beforehand IMO. I hear people have the same or better responses with those ones and the nurse at my clinic said they are the same ones that they use for tests.

I say try before hand but if you don't get a positive wait a few days and test again. Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i always wait with the dollar store test a good week until my missed period.
    Anonymous

• Hormones are what trigger the response. You can get the same reading regardless of the test you use.

Answer by gemgem at 6:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes they are fine! Don't waste the extra money on the more expensive tests. I tested 2 days before my period was due it was a very clear positive. Here's a great site that explains test sensitivity.

http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html

sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 9:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• the dollar store tests are just as good as other tests. but first response early test can detect the pregnancy hormones at much lower levels than other tests.
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 9:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008