Pregnancy is a Choice? Expectant Mommy Parking? Pro-Abortion Opions Stopping Benefits?? Okay, so it's half vent half questions...

Many of us have seen the "Expectant mother's parking" spots. And many of us used them, especially since the final months.

NY is considering a law that would allow expectant mothers to receive a "parking pass" (similar to a handicapped placard) which would let them access special parking spaces - such as handicapped spaces - all through the city.

However, many oppose the new law stating that Pregnancy is a choice, so pregnant women shouldn't receive any extra perks.

Now, I understand that there are lots of options to prevent pregnancy, but some of us are simply more fertile than others. I have three children and have NEVER chosen to get pregnant. Granted, I made the choice not to abort, but does that really make pregnancy a choice? With my daughter we were using THREE types of birth-control, unfortunately because of health issues I can not use hormones (and I don't believe in them anyways) but even had I been there is still a chance of pregnancy. Is that a choice? Or is it simply nature?

And even if you say, well you have the right to choose abortion (I am pro-choice by the way) SHOULD WE really be using a Pro-Abortion idea to create laws?

Personally, I think it's a wonderful law. I have fibromyalgia and a hip problem which actually made walking long distances nearly impossible. SO I actually did qualify for a handicapped space while pregnant, but then, I qualify even when not pregnant - I just simply refuse to use them.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, as a disabled person that is unable to walk I think it is stupid. Seriously, walking while pregnant is good exercise.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't think they should used handicapped spaces, but they should use the next closest spaces, and only be used if it is a high risk pregnancy, or in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Personally, I think it's a wonderful law. I have fibromyalgia and a hip problem which actually made walking long distances nearly impossible. SO I actually did qualify for a handicapped space while pregnant, but then, I qualify even when not pregnant - I just simply refuse to use them.

--
    Me too. I could probably qualify for disability today.
    I like the mommy parking, it would have been nice if it were in style while I was pregnant. Even if pregnancy were a choice for everyone, it's not like this world can make do without it. Pregnancy is why we are all here.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think that is someone is at the point of having a handicap, pregnant or not, they should get a pass like that. But the average pregnant woman doesn't need a parking pass. Even when I was fully pregnant and HUGE, with swollen feet and all, I didn't need something like that. I wasn't handicapped and wouldn't want to be treated as such. It's actually good to get exercise, and if I could walk around a store, I could walk from my car to the door. Pregnancy may not be a choice for some, but it's not a disability either. I'd rather save those spots for those who truly need it. Maybe some pregnant women need something like that, but to give it to all of them is unnecessary, IMO.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think it's a great law as well. And pregnancy is NOT a choice ALL of the time! What about the cases of rape and incest where the mother chooses not to abort? Is that really her fault for believing what she does?
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I suspect the answers to this question may vary based on where people live, too. Walking while pregnant may be "healthy", but walking across an icy parking lot in -20 windchill, not so much.

As for it being a "choice"...going skiing or skateboarding is a choice, falling down and breaking a leg in 3 places still gets you a handicapped placard until the cast comes off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Being fat as hell is a choice but yet those people who have no handicap other than being overweight have a handicap pass.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think those spots should be safed for the disabled people out there. Has it actually killed us to walk a little when we are pregnant.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I agree with the earlier pp about it being used for high risk pregnancies. But all three of my kids were planned. I chose to get pregnant so maybe that why I feel that way.
    Charli627

Answer by Charli627 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• NP, I'm in MN and they don't have special parking spots for pregnant women. I fall in the parking lot non prego! LOL You would think they would now that you mention it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2011