S/o Founding Fathers, the political view

This was posted in RD yesterday:

"

The Founding Fathers were Christians and the United States was founded upon Christian values

Please, try to research unbiased sites FIRST (don't just parrot what you've been told) and THEN tell me if you think the statement in the post title is correct- why or why not?

Oh, and if you're the Anon who shows up with the eye-rolling sweet pea with some smart ass remark every time I post, don't bother- take your immature, attention seeking self someplace else...

"

And after nearly 24 hrs, not a single answer to the affirmative.  I know I've seen the claim made on this side of the board before, so it seems odd that just one category below this, there are tumbleweeds blowing through the question.

Still no takers?  (feel free to reply here or the original question, I suspect answers from this side will probably be more politically tinged)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• lol... STILL nothing.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i've seen it, but usually on a lower-level newbie who didn't realize she wandered out of the kiddie pool. i doubt they'll bother to come back to answer this/yesterday's query. they actually scoff at us in the 'fun' sections. silly little girls.

GL getting a taker!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't need to research a website to answer the question.

I'm confident that if they wanted us to be one nation under a christian god they would've mentioned it at some point. I also don't consider the values our nation was founded under to be christian. The idea that peole should have the right to life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness existed long before christ.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Exactly where is your proof of that? I think you are just assuming that's what people would want. I don't remember the bible stating anything about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness much less before that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes, they were and yes it was. They believed our rights come from our Creator. I have researched it plenty. Mostly from the writings of the founders. The only one who was possibly not a Christian was Ben Franklin, but even that is in doubt with some of his writings to George Washington.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• If you take the time to read their letters and understand the positions they held in churches, you understand they were Christian. Wanting them to not be doesn't make it so. Reading liberal authors who go into contortions to try and connect the 'non-Christian' dots which don't hold up to the scrutiny of the 'non-biased' sites don't make it so. Reading something other than internet sites is a better research vehicle. These men were religious. It is just that. Why is it bad that they were Christian? Would it be ok if they were any other religion? Would you accept that?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,590642,00.html

[transcript]

David Barton gives historical evidence as to the faith of the Founding Fathers. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• These men were religious.

Being religious is not the same as being Christian. Muslims, Hindus, Heathens, and Sikhs are all religious. As are Deists.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• David Barton gives historical evidence as to the faith of the Founding Fathers.

The OP says "unbiased" and your first thought is a Glenn Beck transcript?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The only one who was possibly not a Christian was Ben Franklin, but even that is in doubt with some of his writings to George Washington.

--

What about Thomas Jefferson? He was raised Christian, but was more of a Deist and even wrote the Jefferson Bible to completely eliminate ALL the supernatural aspects of the Bible. What about John Adams, Thomas Paine, or James Madison? I think what's confusing about reading their writings is that many had no problem with people being 'Christ-like' as far as values go, but several of them had problems with doctrine or some aspects of Christianity. I think if they meant for the country to be 'founded on Christianity', they would have said so somewhere in the Constitution or First Amendment. I also mentioned in the other question about the Treaty of Tripoli stating that this country was in no way founded on Christianity. Some were Christians (orthodox or unorthodox), and some were not.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011