Worried! please help!

For the past month ive noticed when I shower alot of hair comes out when im shampooing and conditioning and when I comb my hair..I am italian and have always had very thick curly hair..I dont understand why this is happening and im scared. Im only 24 years old why am I losing my hair?? I noticed today when I really looked close at it (while combing at my shower) alot of the hair still had the follicle attached..isnt that a bad sign?? Am I going bald?? I dont know what to do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• If you recently had a baby, this often happens due to changes in hormones. Happened to me and eventually tapered off after about a year.
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 11:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I gave birth to my daughter 2 1/2 years ago...and ive been on mirena for almost just as long (got on it 6 weeks post partum)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Hair goes through three stages for growth, shedding is one of them. I you have had a child and are on birth control, the hormones could be affecting it even more. Also, having naturally thick hair, your hair must shed in order to continue the growth cycle.
    I wouldn't be concerned if you see your hair in the shower or on your hair brush. If it begins actually falling out in patches, that would be different.
    One thing you could use to continue promoting healthy hair growth is tea tree shampoo and conditioner. There's one by Paul Mitchell that's great for moisturizing hair as well (needed for thick, curly hair), the Lavender Mint option. Be sure to buy them at a salon, Supercuts or somewhere like that, as those found in grocery and drug stores are not guaranteed and are not professional quality.
    I hope that helps! ;-)
    MamisAngels

Answer by MamisAngels at 11:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Check your thyroid, that is a symptom of hypothyroidism
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I lose a lot of hair too. It's normal to lose anywhere from 100 to 250 hairs at a time.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• HOW IS YOUR DIET? Be sure you are eating right...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Im a very healthy eater..i dont eat any junk. I eat LOTS of veggies and fruit...I make everything myself and rarely eat out
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• DONT do any worrying until 3months goes by and its still happening.
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 1:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2011