I just have to vent here

So my 11 year old brother is in an elementary school where about 40% of the kids are on free lunch. Well today, my mom was supposed to bring him lunch and eat with him but due to a slight emergency, it was momentarily pushed from her mind. She was supposed to be there at 11 and realized that she had forgotten by 11:20 (lunch was pretty much over because they only get 24 minutes). Anyway, my mom called the school and asked if he had been given lunch (as my mom has never forgotten in the 20 something years she has had a child in school, she didn't know what they do in this situation). They told her that they gave him a "partial" lunch which is a cup of lettuce (what you might get if you asked for a burger with lettuce on the side at any fast food place) and a thing of milk. Now why is it that they can give FREE LUNCH to 20% of the school but they couldn't let my little brother have a lunch when he had NEVER FORGOTTEN his ever (I guess I would understand a child who forgets every week but come on, not once in 6 years of going there). The thing is that all you need for free lunch is to have 3 children in a public school (doesn't even have to be the same school) and make $50,000 or less a year. It just makes me mad that they can give a free lunch to all these kids who probably 2/3s of their parents could afford to buy them lunch no problem but can't lend my brother the $1.75 for lunch and ask him to bring it in tomorrow. Then the front office gave my mom crap for taking him home because he hasn't eaten, he is still hungry and won't focus anyway. I hate this school and it looks like my DD will be going there in 2 years.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• wow,that was really wrong of them! I'm sorry he had that happen to him

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• That was wrong. They should have given him a full lunch. I hope your mother made a stink about the whole thing, I know I would have. They were wrong!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• That's nuts. They should have called earlier in the lunch period to let her know so she had time to bring him something, at the very least. That's awful...lettuce and milk..BLACH! I homeschool so thankfully I don't deal with the crap from public school.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Wow, that's awful. It doesn't sound like your brother forgets his lunch all the time. The staff should have provided him a little more of a lunch.
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 11:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It seems pretty heartless... I would have a meeting with the principle asap.... My son was -4.00 in his lunch account and walked up with a tray and they turned him away, and said to go get a peanut butter sandwich because he was in the negative. I was livid. We PAY for all 3 of our boys, don't qualify for FREE anything, and it just slipped my mind to check the balance on the parent portal. Our school is the same way, I'm guessing at least HALF of the kids are on free lunches, and it makes me FURIOUS. I feel your pain. BTW -4.00 can happen in 2 days since their lunches are 2.00/day. He's 14 and eats like a horse, he's 6 foot tall at 155lbs. One peanut butter sandwich is not enough to carry him through the rest of the day...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Before your child enters school you should find out what the policy is on school lunches. Maybe lobby for them to extend credit for lunches up to a certain # like 5. It would prevent those from taking advantage of the system, and cover for those who are honest and might forget. I do agree with your mom pulling him for being hungry. It's a shame to let him eat lettuce and think that will carry him through the afternoon.... Just take this opportunity to make a change. Don't waste your efforts to solely venting. :)

eating

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Awe thats sad.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• And please, let me be clear, I understand that they can't feed everyone for free everyday so if some kid got to the point of forgetting all the time and the parent wasn't sending in the money to pay the school back that would certainly be one thing but the kid who has NEVER forgotten?? His teacher just called my mom and apologized and said has she known, she would have given him money from her pocket to get lunch but as my brother was expecting my mom, he didn't know he didn't have lunch till she didn't show up (she feels so bad)
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• They were wrong, no child should ever go hungry at school. Why do you have to send your dd there? Is there another school with open enrollment she could go to? I would look into it if I were you.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• a cup of lettuce?? really?? come on. I would have taken him home too.an 11 year old boy definitley needs more than that to focus all day.They act like its taking food straight from thier own plate or something. Im sure they probably had extras just getting tossed in the trash or something.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011