What do you think of kids needing to 'earn' their snacks and drinks at school?

My daughter's K teacher was absent all last week and has decided that the kids aren't well enough behaved after 5 different subs.
She has now decided that they need to 'earn' all 'rewards' including being allowed to eat snack and drink anything but tap water. They have, at most, 90 minutes to earn 10 pom poms from her for good behavior.
If one child at a table doesn't earn all 10 then that table is not allowed to eat or drink what their parents send in. They're offered a cup of water from the tap and they can read a book while the other kids eat.
I'm pissed and so is my husband. What would your opinion of this policy be in a kindergarten classroom?

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 11:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My opinion - Food should never be used for punishment or rewards for behavior - it is never good to create food issues at that age.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think I would be complaining to a principle. I dont know how snacks work at your school but my dd is in kinder and they dont have lunc until almost 1pm. They do snacks so the kids wont starve between breakfast and lunch. So if our kinder teacher did something like this Id have her job.

Answer by gemgem at 11:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'm not sure what to think. It's not a meal, it's a snack. But I would be mad that the teacher was allowing other children to enjoy a snack in front of mine if mine hadn't been behaving. I don't think food is something to be bargained with.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The teacher would be getting a visit from me. Not good. You have every right to be upset.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I would be pissed and talking to that teacher
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• WTH...I think thats a horrible thing to do.Food is a necessity..not a privledge.I can see having to earn something like a piece of candy..thats different.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Is this a kindergarten or a boot camp? Seriously, I'd be at the principal's office complaining. Kids spend a very long day in school and need their fuel. That's total BS...I would talk to that teacher.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• That would have me contacting other parents of the same classroom and getting a group to speak with the principal ASAP. Don't know the parents? Be there at pickup time and share your email or phone number with all you meet. And schedule something right away. Food is never a bargaining tool. Even as a snack. I cannot imagine doing that in my own home. She needs a lesson right away.

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Ok then no way I would be down there raising all sorts of crap.

Answer by gemgem at 11:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Food should NEVER be used as punishment or reward. I would be there complaining.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011