Lice

My dd got sent home with lice. She is in kinder and I am not sure if she was the only one. I think she probably wasnt there was a long line of cars (6-7) and moms going into the office to pick up kids along with me. She has also been sharing her baseball helmet so that will end now as well.
I got the kit for the head lice, gel and spray for the furniture and bedding. I am washing all the pillows, bought new ones as well, washing everyone in the houses bedding & everyones hair. Is there anything else I should do? Any tips?

Asked by gemgem at 11:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My Bestest has a dd and bless her heart..... She had gotten it like 3/4 times ( thick blk hair!!!). finally after using alllll kinds of otc stuff she explained to the pharmacist ( in FLA) about his ;
    He suggested : wetting hair with listerine (original) 2 hrs. use saran wrap around her hair to wrap it securely.
    then rinse.

: then same with 2 hrs of white vinegar :
    wrap, rinse.

: Then rinse..... WASH wair with a coconut shampoo, rinse, conditioner also.

: Then sit and comb through the hair with nit comb.. metal .

But honestly IT WORKED> GL
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Just remember that the eggs can remain in her hair (whether they are dead eggs or hatched) for a very long time since they are glued to the hair shaft. Don't freak out if you still see them after treatment. No more sharing helmets (like you already said). And make sure the girls aren't playing with each other's hair in class or sharing brushes...I'd hope the teacher would put a stop to that.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Put any stuffed animals or dolls that you can't wash in an air tight plastic bag for at keast 2 weeks. Also a light coat of hairspray will help to keep lice from clinging in the future.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Make sure to either wash or put all stuffed animals in plastic bags for at least two weeks.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• yes, make sure you put all the stuffed animals, barbies, etc (plush toys) in garbage bags and leave them there for 10-14 days to suffocate any lice that might be on them. Use the warmest water possible to wash with and dry on the hottest setting possible to kill any that might be in the bedding and clothing. Make sure to wash any jackets/hats they may have used in the last few days as well. Lice can only live off the body for 1-2 days. Be sure to vacuum everything and do it often over the next few days to make sure you get it out of your house. My DD came home with it the beginning of the school year and it took us a month to get rid of it because other parents weren't doing what they needed to in order to get rid of it and kept giving it back to my DD. It was a mess and can get very costly. I was told by my DD's school nurse that Lysol also kills lice so you can use that on the beds and other soft furniture. cont.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Start braidin her hair so she won't have to comb it at school,, you have to put all pillows and stuffed animals in a plastic double bag for 2 weeks,, also even though the shampoo is going to kill the nits and lice , if they find any on her hair they will send her home again,, it is tedious to use that comb to get them all off, be careful with that spray, do a test patch on your furniture, sometimes it can discolor it.// so sorry momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I was also told tea tree oil can help prevent her getting them again when you send her back to school. Good Luck, hope this helps. I did alot of research when my DD came home with it and we had such a time getting rid of it.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've also herd that when the lice are gone, to put gel and hair spray in your hair to help prevent lice. Also, I know she's only in Kindergarten, but I'd advise dying your hair and anyone you think is old enough to. It kills the lice instantly.
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• heard* lol
    GothicChk52

• i had lice 6 times as a kid. my hair was down to my butt and i hated putting it up. so i know. lol i used hair spray in my hair every day and it was tied in a braid for yrs. thats the best way to keep her from getting it and they say lice likes clean hair. good luck its not easy.
    adriana1024

Answer by adriana1024 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2011