Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Not sure what this goes under but its about lawyers.

My husband just got charged with fraud because of an action his mother did with his student loan... an we JUST found out about it.. we need to obviously hire a lawyer but how do you start with that? we've never done anything like this before..

are their low costing lawyers? any advice would be helpful :(

Answer Question

Asked by akalei at 11:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 15 (2,331 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • You can search for legal aid in your area. They offer free legal help to low income families. I'm not sure how to go about it, either, so best to ask them and see what they say.

    Answer by GothicChk52 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • You definitely need representation, the legal aid idea is a good one.

    Answer by older at 11:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • HMMM what did she do, and do mean arrested charged? Or now he has to pay the loan back instead of her, most lawyers will do a consult for free,,,but perhaps if mother owns up to what she did, the case will be dropped?

    Answer by kimigogo at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • Check with Legal aid. If they can't help you, then call your local Bar assocation and explain the situation and ask about lawyer who do Pro Bono work.

    Answer by MaryanneMac at 12:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • @kimigogo she thinks she did nothing wrong.. when shes already been question by police etc. she has no job or anything so there is no way in heck-o-la she would own up to it.. shes a freakin pansy =/

    thanks for all the advice ladies! we are looking into it right now thank you all so much.

    Comment by akalei (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • I would call legal aid ASAP. I'm sorry you're going through this, and I'm sorry his mom won't own up to her mistakes. Hopefully she will realize that her son could face jail time if she doesn't, and will do the right thing. Good luck!

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • Check with legal aid first. then get your phone book and look for attorneys who offer 1st consultation for free. talk to a couple of them for advice. Dont tell the attorneys you have spoken with another attorney or they wont talk to you. Use their advice to shop around to see which attorney will represent you the cheapest and on payments. Dont talk with anyone(cops/investigators)EVER. The ONLY person you talk to is an attorney regardless of the threats the investigators threaten you with. OK? Dont help them do their job. Its not with holding evidence, its protecting yourself thru your "Miranda Rights". Good Luck.

    Answer by lacyjones at 4:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • thank you so much! you all gave some great advice :)

    Comment by akalei (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

  • Ok this is EXACTLY what I help with in business...I will message you.

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.