Has anyone ever been anemic while pregnant?

If so what were your symptoms and how did they treat it? My doctor ordered a blood test and they are going to check if I am anemic.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Very tired, and it turns out I was anaemic & had an under active thyroid, get a blood test done :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Sorry, treated with Iron tablets :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i didn't find out i was anemic til they did the glucola test at 36 weeks. they were like "your blood sugar is great but you're anemic" coulda fooled me cause i felt completely normal
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• shortness of breath BIG TIME and easily fatigued.. i've always been anemic but it was worse when i was pregnant, my ob told me to take otc iron tabs called SlowFe, it's gentle on your stomach but helps really well, and take it with orange juice b/c the vitamin c helps your body absorb the iron better GL :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes - with all of my pregnancies. My hemoglobin dropped so low that they ended up doing a transfusion during my 2nd and 4th pregnancies, but I'm anemic when I'm not pregnant. Typically, they give you an additional iron supplement and that takes care of it. Anemia during pregnancy is very common and they usually test for it routinely because it's so common.

Answer by missanc at 11:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes, I was severely anemic, and if you are, then you'll take iron. All they have to do is prick your finger though and check for anemia right then, you shouldn't have to wait to do an actual blood test. (?)
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 12:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Well they want to check a few other things out, but I know she said she wanted to see my iron levels because of some symptoms I have been having. They are also doing a glucose test to check to gestational diabetes. I have been super tired, headaches often, and I am really pale. The doctor took one look at me and said she needed to do some bloodwork.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I kept passing out and getting dizzy. My doc gave me iron pills along with my prenatal vitamins. I also couldn't get enough guacamole(which I hate, yuck! Otherwise). I was smearing it on everything! The iron pills made me so sick! The nausea never stopped! It made for a tough pregnancy. Saltine's helped and I kept a box of them on me at all times!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 12:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• very tired, lethargic. they pretty much prescribe IRON pills and it's prescribed bc you may need a certain amount of milligrams KWIM?
    MoonShadow3

Answer by MoonShadow3 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I am taking an iron supplement and prenantals, but my prenatals do not have iron in them. I often throw my iron pills up. On the box it says 325mg (5 g) does anyone know what that means? I just googled how much iron you need and am a little confused on how much I am getting.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2011