Too old to have a baby?

Is 43 or 44 too old to have a baby? I have heard that at that age your baby can have many problems. If anyone is this age and has any advice please share.

SexiFala

Asked by SexiFala at 11:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My mom had my brothers while she was in her early 40s. Actually I believe she was 39 with one and 41 with the other. Yes, there are dangers with having children that late. The risk of things like downs syndrome and other disorders increases after 35 I believe. However both of my brothers were born very healthy (though she was only in labor for 3 hours with one of them and almost died because he came out too fast and her uterus started to hemorrage...but that might not have anything to do with her age).

My brothers are 10 and 12 now and they are very active and in perfect health.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• As long as she is healthy, it shouldn't be an issue. Women have given birth to healthy children even into their early 50's some even older. Your risk factor for genetic disorders jumps dramatically after the age 35. I would check with your Dr. to get the green light. But it is a plausable scenario. Good luck
    Lisa7177

Answer by Lisa7177 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I became pregnate with my last child at 41 =) Out of all four of my pregnacies, he was the easiest! I felt wonderful, had LOTS of energy, stayed very busy keeping up with the other three children and had a wonderful birth and recovery. I did have a doctor that specialized in high risk pregnacies due to my age and I was border line gestational. I was induced at 38 weeks and neither of us had any problems before, during and after the birth. I denied the test to see if he was abnormal because I knew that if he was that we could handle any challenge ahead. There are some chances of defects due to your age, but don't allow those statistics take away your chance for a beautiful child =) Your in my prayers
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2008