Did ANYONE happen to catch the Friday, April 8th, 20/20 show? adult content

OMG! It was about the International Fundamentalist Baptist Church! I just watched it on my TIVO. I cried when the reporter revealed that one pastor told his congregation that if their children were not being bruised then they were not being spanked enough!!! OMG??? It only got more interesting from there! Apparently, a good Baptist Christian forgives and forgets even when they are raped and kicked out of the church for getting pregnant from that rape????!!!!! OMG! I had NO IDEA that this is what Baptists believed? If ANYONE caught this 20/20 show I would love to read your thoughts!!! Thanks!

FingerPainter

Asked by FingerPainter at 12:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Okay, yes, I did see this, and I posted about it days ago. HOWEVER, NOT ALL IFB churches are like this. Many are just like any other Baptist church, the extreme ones however make the news. Anyone who wants to see this though can go to the 20/20 website and watch the full episode.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Not all baptists believe as such, the 20/20 special was on a Fundamentalist group similar to the Westboro Baptist Church, they do not represent all baptists by a long shot as they often take things to the extreme through misinerpretations. .
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I thought the "Fundamentalist" part would have given it away that the teachings may be rather misinterpreted and taken far too literally and not necessarily the best place for "spiritual guidance"...... It's not just baptist denominations either. There is a reason the term "fundie" came about and is referred to in a negative manner.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• That is absolutely disgusting behavior. It is sickening...but as a Baptist I can tell you whole heartedly that it is NOT what the vast majority of Baptists believe.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• But yes. It's completely disgusting and honestly, I feel any "religious leader" who teaches or endorses that kind of behavior should be jailed right along side the abusers and rapists in his congregation!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• KristiS11384...You are right it is NOT all baptist but most all Fundamental Independent Baptist.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Look up Michael and Debi Pearl. "No Greater Joy Ministry" and their book, "How to train up a child".

They claim to not condone hitting babies, but, then they suggest using Weed eater cording to pop them if they cry too much. They recommend ""Later, a plumber's supply line is a good spanking tool. You can get it at Wal-Mart or any hardware store. Ask for a plastic, ¼ inch, supply line. They come in different lengths and several colors; so you can have a designer rod to your own taste." for hitting ages 1 and up...

http://womanuncensored.blogspot.com/2010/03/pearls-of-wisdom.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• wow... well I am not baptised or belong to any church... neither are my children. I say there is a difference between Knowing God and having Religion
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 12:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• People are sick...
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Did not see it but wish I would have...........thats awful!!!!
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 12:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011