How do i get my 2 year old daughter to stay and sleep in her toddler bed?

my daughter is extreemly active, and recently jumped out of her crib. We bought her a toddler bed. the first two days were great. She slept with out getting up, for nap and bedtime. However, the last two days, she will not stay in bed. She is able to open her door, so we put a gate to block the doorway. She yells and screams and will stand there all night if she could. Our house is small and she can see us sitting on the couch in the living room from her bedroom doorway. there is no where else for us to go, besides to our room, which we dont want to go at 9pm. I've tried the supernanny thing doing our routine, brush teeth, read book, telling her 'its bedtime', then the next time saying 'sleep' then saying nothing and just lead her back to bed over and over. She thinks this is soo funny, she laughs and laughs. She is already out of bed before im even out of her room. Last night this lasted over three hours, and she still did not go to bed! HELP ME!!!! this girl does not back down, and like i said will do this alllll night if she can.

LeahsMama

Asked by LeahsMama at 12:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Heh, sounds like my daughter. When she's standing at the gate, just ignore her screaming, or close her door and tell her that she can throw as much of a fit as she likes as long as the doors closed. But if she wants it open, she has to be in her bed quiet. It will take a lot of consistancy (and ear plugs) on your part, but as soon as you give in, you will have to start back at square one
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• This is what worked for me and my kids. I actually do the bedtime routine, read book, then lights out, and I lay down on a blanket on the ground next to them. I meditate while they lay in bed and try to fall asleep. If they are squirming, I repeat. "Close your eyes and go to sleep". When they fall asleep, I leave. When they wake at night, I do the same thing . . . and then leave. This takes all of the stress out of the situation, and they start to feel like calling for you is too much trouble, so they just put themsleves back to sleep.
    The important thing is not to engage. You are in there for sleep, not play.
    My two year old still cries for me once in the middle of the night, but goes directly back to sleep when he hears me coming. My four year old just puts herslef back to sleep if she wakes up, unless she is sick.
    It has worked for me, and has been really easy.
    This also allows my husband and I time.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I feel your pain trying to get your daughter to bed at night. My grandson would never sleep in his bed for us......so we finally put the mattress on the floor and that helped. Then he began to open the door and swoop into the living room, upsetting the whole apple cart. He now sleeps with an alarm attached to his door. It goes off whenever he opens the door and he hates the sound of it! These alarms are available in the health and safety aisles of most drug or baby stores. I wish you the best of luck AND a good night's sleep! Beth100
    Beth100

Answer by Beth100 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• When we went through this with my son, we picked him up without speaking to him or looking at him and put him in bed. After a few nights, he learned to stay in bed.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• We keep our sons door closed at night... he has one of those child safety things on his door knob so he can't get out and wander...
    When we first moved him to his toddler bed he got out but we just let him... his room is child safe so we just let him be... for awhile he slept on the floor... he quickly learned his bed was a much better place to sleep.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2011