Is this considered giving your dogs shelter?

The neighbor 2 houses up has rubbed me wrong with how he treats his dogs from the get-go. Today, I noticed him in his driveway. He opened up his garage and both dogs ran out to go potty. I seriously think he must keep them in the garage instead of in the home at night. There is no "doggie door" on this garage. It seems like a shelter because it protects them from the elements, but it just doesn't seem right. What do you think about it?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 12:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Although my dog is an indoor dog, he absolutey LOVES the garage. He's in there most of the day, (by his choice). He has a bed in there and one inside. It's cooler in the garage, so he loves it. Yes, I also believe a garage is perfectly acceptable as shelter. I mean, if a dog house kept outside will do, that definitely will do.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I think if he lets him out its alright my dog stays in our laundry room during the day due to weather
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 12:19 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Well its a shelter and if he has food and water then it would fit the guidelines around here. A lot of people don't have doggie doors on their houses and will keep them locked up overnight in the house so I think it would be a non issue.

Not saying I agree with it but as far as getting anyone to tell him he has to stop.... I don't think you would be succesful.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't find a problem with it either.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have to say that we don't always know the circumstances behind the way people handle things. We always have our dogs in the house, and we do have a doggy door. However, maybe these people feel they cannot afford or for some other reason do not want to install a doggy door. As long as the dogs have opportunity to get out of the elements, yes I will consider it a shelter. Although not the kind I, personally would provide. Beth100
    Beth100

Answer by Beth100 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It is shelter. As long as they are let out to do their "business" and they have adequate food and water, he is providing all they need. I fail to see how the garage would be worse than being in the house. The dogs are probably more secure in the garage than they would be in a kennel in the yard, at least in regard to someome taking them and/or harming them.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The dogs are neglected. No one plays or interacts with them. They are more like "property" to him. They often get loose from the yard. I wonder if they're kept there to protect something in the garage. IDK, just seems harsh to me not to get involved with them much.
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• This sounds like the situation my rescue doxie was in before I got him. He's been with me 5 years now, but still has abandonment issues. I don't know what to suggest to you, though.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Technically he does not have to bring them in at all and only has to provide a covered area for them. A dog house or makeshift tent even is sufficient according to law. I don't really see anything wrong with them being in the garage unless it is high temperatures and even with that some garages are air conditioned. I keep mine in the house but I could not see making an issue of it with your neighbor.

Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'm lost... He brings them in out of the heat and cold, right? So what's the difference in that and being inside?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011