How many of you have rescued or shelter pets?

jmpj8107

Asked by jmpj8107 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pets

• I do!
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I do!! I adopted a kitten from the shelter and adopted several stray animals in the last few years. currently I have a dog and an outdoor cat who are both strays that someone just dumped off out here.. poor animals! Cats and dogs just aren't supposed to be left in the wild.. they are domesticated animals!
    Anonymous

• Gabby, a 6 year old Border Collie, we adopted her when she was about 6 mos old from the shelter. She had been abused, and it took quite a while before she would stop shying away when someone went to pet her. Now she is the epitome of love..........
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have rescued them, but its not from shelters or rescues. They're people who can't take or of them. One of my kitties was about 8 weeks old, malnourished, and missing an eye. The eye socket was completely infected and I reallt believe if we didn't take her, she'd have died.

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My chihuahua is a rescued animal in a different way....we went to a friend of DH's and they showed off thier new dog by having their 5 yr old daughter come out with him...she was carrying him by the head!!!! I tried to subtly get the dog away from her without outright chastising thier kid because of course that isnt my place....they were basically carrying him around like a rag doll...I just know that if he would have stayed in that enviroment he would have died...I cried all the way home...the next week Rich (DH) brought him home!, he said that Marty (the friend) realized that the puppy just wasnt going to work out there and he seen how attached I had gotten and wanted me to have him. A year later and my Tobasco is just like one of the kids!!! lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Both my daughter and I do! have rescued hundreds and saved hundreds of lives from the shelter.

Answer by older at 12:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have worked with rescues as a foster home for several puppies and dogs. I have also adopted three of my own. I got my purebred, papered beagle isolated, emaciated, underwieght and she smelled awful, from a family member who just decided one day he didn't want her and threw her in a kennel with no human contact unles it was food and water, which didn't seem like she had much of.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I do, our dog Margarita was rescued from a landfill when she was only about 4 weeks old. Our Malamute, who passed away last year, we rescued from wandering the streets. And our dog Maggie, we rescued from a puppy mill. My husband's cat is also a rescue animal. I think it is a wonderful blessing to be able to help these poor animals who wouldn't have a chance. I once had a horse I rescued from severe neglect and abuse also.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I do! Chica the Chihuahua was found under my sons car... she had escaped from a hoarding situation. We've had her for 3 years and she's just my little baby. She's the most well balanced Chihuahua I've ever seen in my life. Then there's Miss Bella Bleu the Catahoula Cur whom I found at the local animal control (IN THE CAT ROOM) because she was so small that she couldn't be kept in a regular kennel -- she was 8 weeks old and had been rescued by a driver who witnessed another driver THROW her out the window of a moving truck ! She was soooooo sick that it took our vet (literally 5 months) to get her well enough to even tolerate all of her regular shots.
    We adore "The Girls". Bella Bleu thinks DH is her man... she sits in the chair with him, under his arm with her head on his chest and one leg across him.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• All of mine are either rescued off the streets or adopted from shelters.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011