Help! My son just came home with head lice! What's the best way to get rid of it fast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• humboldtmama is right about the tea tree oil, eucalyptus geranium and lavender oils are supposed to be good too. You can also use olive or other cooking oil (add some of the previously mentioned essential oil to it) instead of mayo...the idea is to suffocate them. They live close to the scalp but can travel through the hair. It is believed that people who use hair gel or other styling product are less apt to have a problem because the lice can't travel through the hair as easily as with clean product free hair.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 9:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Go to walmart or any drug store and get the head lice treatment for his head. Wash all the bedding, pillows, everything. Get the stuffed animals in his roomand place them in plastic bags for about a month. Steam your carpets. And make sure after using the meds on his hair to use the nit comb and have a cup of alcohol next to it to dip it in when you get the lice out of his head. And thoroughly go through his head. Also apply some to your head because mommys can catch it too.
    Anonymous

• Which treatment works best? I've heard that lice are resistant to some treatments. I am so broke ! I can't afford this right now! Please help!
    Anonymous

• tea tree oil works wonders just soak the hair in it
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Oooo....been there, horrible! I am a big believer of coating the head in mayo and shower cap for several hours. Wash. Comb through hair with a lice comb. Got any advantage for dogs? Put a drop at the forehead and it will kill those suckers. Wash all bedding in hot water. Bag all stuffed animals for a month. This is one of the most awful things we have ever been through! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• You can always shave him bald - I know, it would break my heart too, but it will grow back and you will not have to worry about a quick reinfection.

Hair dye works like magic too. I used it on my dd - chose a color close to her natural and you couldn't even tell it was colored. She never had them again.
    Anonymous