What is the best time of day to work out?

Does anyone know if it is better to work out in the morning, or in the evening, and before a meal or after a meal. I am not trying to build muscle, but just lose a little flab and tone.

ilovepoms

Asked by ilovepoms at 12:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• morning so you have your body pumping all day. working out at night can cause you to have trouble relaxing and getting a good nights rest because your mind is tired but your body is wade awake after working out
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I personally work out first thing in the morning after breakfast. It seems to help me become more motivated for the rest of the day :)
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Never eat before a workout. It will give u indigestion. Morning is the best time because it will give u a major energy boost that will carry u throughout your day. If u workout at night,u won't be able to sleep.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Always have water to drink during your workout. I drink one bottle of ice mountain everytime I workout.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Early in the morning, it will make your body burn calories throughout the day.

Answer by older at 12:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• In addition to revving up your metabolism for the day, working out in the morning is better because you will be far more likely to do it. Studies show that people who try to do afternoon or evening workouts are less likely to do them regularly because things come up during the course of the day and becomes easier to make excuses (legitimate or not!) about why that workout just isn't going to fit on the schedule today. Get up, do it, and be done for the day. It'll give you pep you need for the day anyway!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I prefer the morning, more energy the rest of the day, but really if you just can't, then any time of day is better than not at all! You have less time for excuses too in the morning. How much you're exercising will depend on how much eat before. a normal 30 min workout, a small snack to get your metabolism running about an hr before. If you're doing intense 60 min or more workouts, you'll probably want a little more to help you sustain the energy. After your workout a small snack with complex carbs and protein.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Recent research has actually stated that working out mid afternoon between the hours of 3-5 pm is actually the most beneficial to your body and health. It prevents injury more as well. The reason behind this new idea is that your muscles are already warmed up from already being active all day long. When your muscles are cold, you can injure yourself more easily, but when you muscles are already warm they are more pliable and able to withstand a workout.
    I believe I read that in Runner's World recently... I can't remember the source.. I just remember thinking " Woot! I'm an afternoon workout type of girl anyway".
    I work out in the afternoons as that is when I have the time to do it..the mornings are full of taking my oldest to school, errands, etc and picking her up at noon...then I have to come home and make the kids and Dh ( telecommutes) lunch. I work out while the girls eat.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Good for you mcginnisc! It's always nice to read research that makes you feel good about what you're doing! I just wish the researchers wouldn't change their minds all the time, lol. In the morning, I always make sure I do at least a 10 minute warm up before working out, and have never had an injury. I find if I try to do an intense workout in the afternoon, I simply do not the same kind of energy I can bring to it in the mornings. I do go for walks in the afternoons sometimes, after a vigorous AM routine.

Different strokes for different folks, OP...I think really that whenever YOU have your best energy and the time at which YOU are most likely to stick with a routine is the time YOU should work out. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• in the morning
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011