Am I putting too much pressure on her?

My 5 year-old got down from the table during lunch and pet the cat, my two year-old followed her big sister and got down to pet the cat.. as I was getting the girls back into their chairs I told my oldest:

"See, this is why you have to stay in your chair at lunch, if you get down your sister gets down too."

I said it in a nice calm voice, not yelling just stating a fact to her.. am I putting too much pressure on her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't have pointed out the fact that the little one was just imitating but rather would have just told them both to get back in their chairs. If her sister was not there you would still expect her to stay seated so just stress the fact that they are not supposed to get up from the table. I have three and they will each imitate each other but they are responsible for only their own actions.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Not at all, it's important for kids to know that they're setting an example for their younger siblings and also what they're not supposed to do either way.
    brandy0827

Answer by brandy0827 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• No. Kids to need to know their is consequences to their actions

Answer by louise2 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't think so. I sometimes have to remind my 5 year old that she cannot do certain things because her 22 month old sister will try to copy her.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011