How do I get my 2 year old to stop telling us no?

My 2 year old says no alot not all the time but how do we get him to stop?

mrsguess09

Asked by mrsguess09 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• let him grow or correct him
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You cant avoid this lol I tried & it came anyway! Help him to understand better ways to express what he means. When he says no just try to refaise what is being said, okay hard to explain lol its what we did though! So if he says no to you telling him to put his shoes on then say would you rather sit down or stand up to get them on, just keep speaking like that. Eventually instead of saying no constantly he'll express how he prefers it to be done (not that he is the ultimate boss here). Did that make sense!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Try not so say it to him as often is the first step. They only mimic what we say really. Ask him todo things in ways that he can't say no to. Instead of saying put your shirt on say would you like to put on your red or yellow shirt.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I agree with aeneva, I think the best approach is to limit the amount of times you say the word "No" around him. If you use phrases like "Let's not do that, but go play with this" and depending on the situation, you can make the situation like a game, per say when it comes to cleaning up "Would you like to HELP me clean up?! It's sooooo much fun!" and you look enthusiastic about it, so will he.
    amandem

Answer by amandem at 2:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The best thing you can do is to ignore it when he says it and/or give him other words to use.
    For example if you tell him to go pick up his toy and he just stands there and says NO
    Say, "OKAY MOMMY,LETS PICK UP THE TOY" ,take his hand and guide him to the toy and pick it up and walk with him to put it where it belongs.
    Thats just an example, there are many ways you can do this.
    Hope this helps a little!Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My two year old not only says no but he is also very particular about what he want's or doesn't want - still just as annoying as no lol i like what the above poster said. my son would say " i don't wanna pick up toys mama, you pick up toys mama" and so on and so on so he has to have time outs when he doesn't obey.
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 4:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• children learn from parents , if in the house holds uses that word alot, use another word && soon he will stop saying the word.
    EstrelitaMami

Answer by EstrelitaMami at 10:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• At that age, children are establishing that they have an identity separate from their parents. Limiting the use of the word "no" helps somewhat, but at the same time as they get to be more independent, they will be more defiant. We use the word "no" only in situations where we feel our kids are in danger, and my almost 2 year old still says it a lot.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 1:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011