Eating healthy

We just moved back to my hometown to be closer to the faimly. Well today we were in the gas station getting coffee & my dads contractor offered to get my 3yo a bug juice drink. I cringed but didnt want to deny the gesture so allowed her to get it. I looked at label & again cringed at the list of things in it. The red one had red dye 40 in it which is something we have recently cut out of her diet. I refused to allow her to have a red one but she got a blue one instead.

I feel like such a freak though b/c everyone around me dosent pay any nevermind to such things. I am mindful of high fructose (often times paying more for a name brand product b/c it dosent use it), sugars, artificial dyes, the amount of junk intake in general in a day, etc. Nobody else operates in this manner so I feel like an uptight mother.

Just venting b/c I know lots of you ladies on here are mindful of the foods that your families eat. I will get into a grove & people will get used to it (small town everyone knows everyone here) so I will end up becoming the health nut mom I am sure but that is fine by me. Our old town all our friends & families (3hours from here!) were even more mindful & healthy eaters then we are! So down there I didnt feel out of place at all!

Anyone else ever feel like this? Like everyone else around you just dosent care about the foods they eat & your the only one?

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• most places that have offered my daughter something ask me first, or they ask "does she want a sticker or a lollipop?" and we always get a sticker. you could always keep naptime in your back pocket if she's offered sugary drinks or treats. just say, "oh thank you so much for such a kind offer, but i'm afraid we're heading home for naptime and she'll never sleep if she has something like that now." crotchety old men are usually pretty sympathetic to mothers putting kids to bed, i've found.

if it's truly a rare treat, let her have a few sips and then throw it out when you get to your next stop. if she absolutely rebels, when she's not looking dump all but 2 sips out and let her "finish" it.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 2:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I do care and am careful of what I buy, but on rare occasion I do let my kids have a treat - they think bug juice is a great treat a couple times a year - but it's so expensive that it's usually Grandpa's treat! They rarely finish it though.
    Anonymous

• Bug juice? What is that? I wouldn't feed myself or any member of my family something that contained red dye 40. Poison.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• lol bug juice is basically kool aid you can get them at the store with sippie cup type tops made for little children & in smaller bottles. Something that I dont give my daughter ever she may have had 4 in her entire 3 1/2 years now of life. The blue did have blue dye 1 in it & I attempt to avoid all those dyes period but I avoid red dye 40 as much as I can (meaning almost 100%). Thankfully lots of companies have caught on & made this easy for me to avoid in my own household but again I didnt want to sound snobby this guy is a close friend & super sweet & nice. Its also not like he buys her anything ever really so its a once in a great while thing that this guy will be at the store the same time we are & offer to get her something.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011