Do you?

avoid certain places or all places with your kids? Because you don't want to deal with meltdowns or whatever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yep. I dont go anywhere where I think they might not be good. I plan my days around these things. Like going to the post office. I dont go with the 2 & 3 yr old LOL. No way. No how. I also try not to go shopping with them unless Im desperate.
    Anonymous

• I used to avoid nice restaurants.
    Anonymous

• I avoid places but not because of meltdowns but because of the gimies. I avoid toy sections at stores and avoid stores a bit before each holiday. They don't need anymore ideas!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Nope. I never stopped going places because of my children. When they were young we would take them to restaurants and we would make sure that we had enough things for them to do so they would behave.

I can tell you that it is a wonderful feeling when someone comes over to you and compliments you on how well behaved your children are in a restaurant.

I believe that if you start taking them when they are young then they will learn how to behave. That is not to say that my children never had melt downs because they did and then we would leave and they would get into trouble. Usually they we get a time out when we would get home.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• You bet...some places are just not developmentally appropiate for small kids. No your limits.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I took them everywhere we went. even when taking children might not be the first choice= Restaurants, museums, concerts, church meetings. The children knew how to behave, and besides I always brought plenty of books and toys for them when appropriate. Part of the reason I took them everywhere was that I could not find a reliable sitter, and I didn't like imposing on my mother all the time, but other times it was for them to absorb some culture.

Answer by Bmat at 8:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I will never again take them to Toys R Us! I did last year and it was horrible! We also avoid nice restaurants and I prefer not to take my 1 yr old to the library.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• yes, my youngest pulls down clothes from the racks and hangers and breaks things if shes sees them. Cries cause she wants to get out and wont sit still for anything. I've had a really hard time taking her anywhere and I get really sad that I never take her but always take my oldest but my 2 year old just doen't listen. Does anyone have any suggestions/?
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If I did that, I'd never go anywhere.

They know how to behave in public, but we do have meltdowns. They are unavoidable, and I deal with them....but when you have kids with SPD, Asperger's and PDD-NOS...it's impossible to say when they will happen! I can't avoid the meltdowns. They happen here at home just because my oldest touched my second born...touch for him is a BAD thing. But I'm learning how to head them off early and stop them once they get started. I get some looks from people, but I just politely explain what's going on....and then the "get control of your kid" looks change to the pity looks. ugh.

Tantrums, now...those are not accepted and are dealt with swiftly. The boys are put in time out right in the middle of the store or taken out of the restaurant and placed in time out. I will NOT allow inappropriate behavior and they know it (they are 4, 3 and 2) at home or in public.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2008