BF working moms

I see so many moms on here that BF for months well beyond 12 months, I'm so envious. I would love to BF as long as possible, but I do work so I pump all day and nurse morning at night and all day on the weekends. Anyone nurse longer than 12 months that worked full time?

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 1:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yep! My daughter self weaned at 35 months old. I worked full time the entire time and I pumped while at work for the first 11 months. Around 11 months she started refusing my pumped milk in any way while I was not home so I slowly cut back on what I pumped at work and I was donating my milk (I had an oversupply) to a friend who was having supply issues. Basically what I did was cut the time I pumped for (was about 15 minutes 3 times a day at first) back by 5 minutes for a week and then another 5 minutes for another week and then I switched from 3-5 minute pumping sessions to 2-5 minute pumping sessions for a week and then 1-5 minute pumping session for a week and then not at all unless I felt really engorged. Worked wonderfully for me. I kept my pump with me for about a month after quitting just in case and I used it once or twice. Your body really does respond to supply and demand rather well. Good luck!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I bf'd until 18 months, but I stopped pumping at work at 12 months.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• 26 months. Worked 60 hours a week. Dumped the pump on the first birthday. nursed at home. The most successful long term nursers I've ever known worked out of the home at least 40 hours a week.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• So, you didnt become engorged all day while not pumping? Anyone?
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I was so fat when my son was born me and the nurse tried to get him on my breast but it didnt work I never breast fed him. I wonder if that is why it took longer to bond with him?
    NTAMS

Answer by NTAMS at 2:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• "So, you didnt become engorged all day while not pumping? Anyone? "

Nope. Because I slowly cut the sessions over a month, one session per week till gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• "I was so fat when my son was born me and the nurse tried to get him on my breast but it didnt work I never breast fed him. I wonder if that is why it took longer to bond with him? "

No... bonding SHOULD take an entire lifetime if you're doing it right. That newborn part is merely Infant Kung Fu so you don't eat him out of irritation during wakeup # 1,001 of the night. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• No, you don't become engorged all day. Your body gets used to the cycle, you drop one pumping a week until there are none left.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011