At My wits end about this cat.....

Bear with me, this is longer....
I have a three year old male, indoors only(fixed, not declawed) cat. I got him when he was 7 weeks old and from the beginning, we have had a tumultuous relationship. He hated me from the beginning. I stuck with him because I felt obligated. I mean, I picked him out and everything. He destroys things. For example: he scratches things to NO end. I don't believe in de-clawing cats, otherwise I would have. I keep his nails trimmed SO short and he STILL wrecks stuff (couches, curtains, corners of the wall, carpet). I have tried the caps that go on top of the nails and he somehow gets them off. He has recently started going underneath our bed at night around 4am every morning and scratching the box spring until I get up. It's not because he needs food/water/box cleaned. He's just decided that it's time for me, who is 7 months pregnant, to get up. I have a spray bottle and I spray him ALL the time. He seems to get angry at me when I spray him. He won't run away, instead, he will turn his butt towards me and meow angrily while I am spraying him. I physically have to remove him from where he is scratching. It isn't because he is lonely; I actually got HIM his own little kitten friend about a year a half ago. That seemed to help for about a year, but now he's back at it again.
I want to just bring him to the humane society because I can't take this crap anymore from him. He doesn't bring me any joy or happiness. He drives my blood pressure up!! The other cat is a sweetheart. None of the same issues with him. I guess I just need some reassurance that bringing him to a no-kill shelter would be an ok option..... :-(

Molly4630

Asked by Molly4630 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pets

• try to get him one of those kitty houses with a scratching post. my cats used to jump on the walls and slide down at my ex's house and now that we moved, got them their own area they are all just fine.. sounds like he is bored.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Does he have other options for scratching like a cat tree? Does he have toys? Also the caps will fall off after a month or so and need to be reapplied. And you need to hold each cap for a few minutes so the glue sets when you first put them on. If your not doing that then its why they didn't work. Also might be the amount of glue used. Too little and they are easy to pull off even if set.

Its really up to you to re home. But I'd try to do that on your own before putting him in a shelter.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• There is no such a thing as a no kill shelter, they all do it even though they might advertise otherwise, I agree with the first poster, get him his own scratching post, I have three female cats and they have never destroyed anything in my home, I also let them in and out. It sounds to me this cat is bored out of his wits and needs some outside stimulation, let him roam outside and only bring him in at night for a feeding, and you will see a change. Please don't take him to a shelter he will be killed for sure.

Answer by older at 1:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• LOL!!! I am laughing because ..well its funny...animals sure do have thier own personalities.
    I've had my fair share of crazy kitties :)
    Makes me wonder if some cats are reincarnated ornory old men..hahaha
    Well..do what you feel you need to do.If you really really feel that deep down you can get rid of him..maybe try asking around if someone wants to give him a home before taking him to a shelter. If you do take him to a shelter, I'd make sure to give a donation of money of you can and maybe some animal food and stuff.
    Hope you find the best solution for your and your ornary animal friend :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You could always try a cat kennel. (like a dog kennel...only a small one) with a bed, litter box, and water bowl in it. kennel him at night, or when he's misbehaving and you don't have the energy to take care of whatever mess he's trying to make. My male cat has gotten more destructive as he's gotten older, and there are definitely nights when I consider tossing him in the kennel with our beagle just to keep him out of the stuff he's getting into.

If you really can't handle it, then take him to a low kill shelter. He sounds placeable. (I work at a shelter..) so he should find a home if there's one to be had. Good luck! I've heard of worse reasons to get rid of pets, believe me.

Another option is to place an ad in the local paper for a cat free to a good home. You may be able to find a place for him that way and cut out the trauma of the shelter.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 1:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• That really sucks. Choosing to give up a pet is difficult and makes most people feel pretty horrible. Based on what you've posted it doesn't sound like he's very happy either. If you can't find another home for him yourself I don't see that you have another option (aside from dumping him in the wild, which i think is horrible).
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I really want to make him an inside/outside cat. I guess I hesitate because I'm worried he'll be hit by a car. Maybe I will try the caps again. He bites me (hard) every time I put them on him. He's large (about 30lbs) so I have to keep him on his stomach and kind of straddle him in order to hold him down enough to get the caps on. LOL
    Molly4630

Comment by Molly4630 (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Thanks for all the replies. :-( I really do not want to bring him to the humane society, but I just can't handle getting up at 4am right now and then trying to go back to sleep for an hour or so before getting up for work! He needs some more exercise. Maybe we'll just try letting him outside, especially now that the weather is nice.
    Molly4630

Comment by Molly4630 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• A second cat! Cats get lonely and need buddies. We have two cats and they keep each other entertained. Try to find a 2nd one with the same energy level as your current cat. Also, close the bedroom door at night. We do and it works wonders, lol.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'd have taken him to that shelter a long time ago and I wouldn't have even felt bad. I might have declawed him first, but pretty sure he would have ended up in the shelter anyway.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011