When a female dog is in heat can you keep the male dog away from her if they are tied away from each other?

They both have collars and it clips on to a chain leach. I have no where else to putthemfor now :(
The ale does not want to eat when this happens and he's a piggy when it comes to eating...aaahhh the things a woman can do to a man...lol in this case dogs...lol
Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Pets

• NO! My male tore out of his collar to get to her! our only hope was to keep one outside and one inside and physically walk our female in the front yard while he was in the back.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• All you can do is try. Some dogs are escape artists when there is a bitch in heat. Good luck.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Well he will do anything and everything to get to her. So your tie out better be solid and make sure the collar isn't going to break either. Best that they be completely separated by walls and doors! Your male might get a little bit of peace if he was crated in another room. Then perhaps he'll eat.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You can try. But he will do EVERYTHING he can to get at her, as well as every other male dog in the neighborhood. You really need to get her fixed - its the best thing for the dog. You should get him fixed too.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I agree with getting them fixed. As for keeping them apart, good luck! lol I'd crate one instead of relying on collars and tie outs, which can break.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'll talk to u about solutions later. Have to get to work.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Why put them through that misery?? Please get them fixed if you are unsure that you can keep them separated. Also, do NOT leave the female tied up outside unsupervised while in heat because every male dog within miles will be coming to mate her!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You are asking for your dog to get pregnant, leaving her tied up unattended. A male dog can smell a female in heat up to 5 miles away. Your other dog will do whatever he can to get out of that collar. Get them both fixed and you will not have this problem.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• There is a really easy solution to this. Fix your dogs.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 5:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Good luck with that. Most males will kill themselves to get to a female in heat, I have seen dogs who have bred even though a hole in the fence.

Why wouldn't you crate the female somewhere separated until she is out of heat?

I agree with Kylie too, the males in the neighborhood will be lined up at your female's feet before you know it while your poor old fellow will be tied up and very sad about that.

And of course, I am with the others who advise you to spay and neuter before you end up with yet one more litter of puppies looking for homes.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011