Whats the earliest you can pierce you baby's ears?

joymoon87

Asked by joymoon87 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The sooner the better as they arnt coordinated enough to pull at them and WONT EVER remember the pain. By the time they are 2 y.o they are not even aware of them to fuss with them or play with them. Makes it easier to identify a girl to.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've heard 6 weeks butI wouldn't do it. It's better when they're older and it's their idea. They hurt (whether you think they do or not, it is putting holes in her ears so it will cause pain) and I would imagine the earrings pose a choking hazard.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Most places will tell you 8 weeks. If you choose to do your DD ears then make sure ti is a reputable facility with sterile supplies. Once DD is old enough to remove them herself I suggest screw back earrings. They literally screw off so she can't do it own her own reducing the risk of ingestion and choking.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I got dd done at walmart when she was 6 months. They have backing so not even I was able to get them off easily.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The doctor said that the earliest you can safely pierce the baby's ears is 6 months old, after they have had their tetanus shots.

You can select earrings that are screw backs, so the baby can't pull them off.My daughter got her ears pierced at the ENT's office at 7 months old. They use safety back earrings.

The do hurt, but for long. And the baby won't remember. I certainly don't remember when my grandmother pierced my ears. I do, however remember when they closed on me when I was 12 because I stopped wearing my earrings and they had to reopen them. That hurt and I remember it.

If you are going to have the baby's ears pierced, do it after 6months to be safe and try to do it at the drs office. Ask your pediatrician if they do it or if they know where to do it safely.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• 6 weeks
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• 3 weeks old i got my DD ear pierced....and YES it was a good facility STERILE
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Many places will do it once they've had first shots. Personally, I disagree with piercing an infant, but if you choose to do it, I urge you to go to a licensed piercer who uses a needle rather then any place that uses a gun.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my sister is a nurse she did dd when she was 2 mths
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It depends were you go but 6 weeks seems common. I was 8 years for mine and I don't remember any pain but some swelling is normal just use a little motrin for it and she'l be fine.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 4:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011