To Spank or not to Spank?

Do you believe in spanking? If so what infraction warrants it?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We spanked our children and it was highly successful. The two major offenses were disrespect and disobedience.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Yes, we do it...and it's used as a last resort.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I DO. My DS and I were grocery shopping and out of no where and for no "apparent" reason he just starts kicking things over on the shelf, grabbed a bottle of shampoo and poured it out, insisted on shoving the cart into people etc crap like that! He is typically my perfect little boy. He's 6. You better believe I spanked his little butt, too bad about what everyone else thought. I'll discipline him now, or you can all do it when he's 18 :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• single swat to the butt when they are doing something that is harmful or can harm others
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I use it only as last resort. I do timeouts first.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I do. It has to be a big infraction though to warrant a spanking.

In my case, I do slap my DDs hands slightly when she continues a behavior that she has been told to stop several times, like riping a page of Mami's book, or throwing her food on the floor, or at mami. It is a very slight slap that hardly even hurts, but she realizes her hand has been slapped and the mere fact that it happens stops her.

I have spanked her, again, not hard, when she has come right up to me and just hit me hard. This was a situation of not playing around, but being mad at me and coming over and hitting me hard, after being warned twice not to. I always tell her to not hit Mami because Mami hits back. And when she did hit me, I spanked her and repeated that Mami hits back. Now I just need to remind her that mami hits back and she stops.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I don't spank. I don't think it shows my child a good way for me to respond to problems. I can't hit my husband or any other adult, I can't hit other children, so I don't see why it is ok to hit my child. I also don't want her expecting to be able to hit people that she thinks have done something wrong, like take her toys away, becasue that is what is done to her for misbehaving. I won't even point out the irony of spanking a child for hitting at the park or playground. I don't think spanking is child abuse or anything like that but I personally do not care for it at all as an effective means of discipline and prefer to use alternative methods with my child.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I try not to but for something like biting another child or sticking things in a plug socket then I will spank. If he does something that could be very harmful to another child or himself and he knows better then I will spank. (only with my hand on his diaper)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• yes if i tell DS not to do somthing and he does it he gets warned.. then timeout then spanking not hard but enough to let him know that its not ok
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I never spanked my son (he's hitting 20).

However. That is not because I do not believe in spanking, nor do I have an issue with those who do spank or anything of the like. He simply just never gave me reason to. Other methods of discipline and behavior modification tactics worked very well with him. Since he responded positively to other methods spanking was never warranted.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2011