How do you get permanent marker off of couch's upolostery?

I remeber reading about a solution to this problem... yesterday, I was speaking with a young mom and she had share how her child had marked on her couch the day before. Anyone know of a remedy?

Thanks,
anna

drip

Asked by drip at 2:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Mix equal parts rubbing alcohol and water, then spray on a small (unseen) area of your upholstery to be sure it doesn't ruin your fabric. After the swatch test, spray and BLOT (not rub) the affected area until it comes clean. I've done this on my microsuede couch and it worked just fine - my daughter had colored on the couch with a sharpie (and I picked up the method form the people who had to come treat my couch after a stain had set in and we had the fabric guard protection on it.) It does work - but I would definitely do the swatch test first!

You could also try a magic eraser.
    Jessica79

Answer by Jessica79 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Put a blanket on it?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• mr clean magic eraser.. dab it don't rub it!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've had luck with hairspray. Spray on, let set a minute, blot out. Use a scrubbie brush like you would with Resolve (which I would try first). It depends on the couch material, though. Always test!

Is flipping the cushion an option? :-)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 2:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I know what NOT to use....nail polish remover :P Been there, done that, made it worse!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I agree with Jessica79 (above answer) but make sure to put something between the fabric and the cushion, like paper towels to absorb and a plastic bag to keep it from bleeding thru into the foam cushion otherwise your mark will just get bigger by running. Talk about a mess then. It will take a few applications befor it comes out. Good Luck. Thats a nasty stain.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 4:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I agree with previous posters hair spray and magic erasers should do the trick
    malexander2009

Answer by malexander2009 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• hair spray
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• alcohol
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• If it's permanent marker, it's PERMANENT.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 11:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2011