This really sucks! adult content

I think I've tried every suggestion out there to lower our grocery bill with no luck. Things that are suppose to be cheap aren't cheap for us. A bag of potatoes cost $4.99 and last for 2 meals. If I make anything with beans I need two 1lb bags, $1.99 each! (and you need other ingredents to make it into a meal.) Pasta, another cheap meal, isn't cheap here cause of allergies. It cost me $10. to make it.

And there are Never Ever any left overs no matter how much I make. That means no left overs for lunchs at all. If I make, they eat it..and it's all gone.

Is this just what it's like having a large family? There are now 8 of us here and I'm going crazy trying to get this grocery bill down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Get a Costco card mama...you can buy everything in bulk and it's still reasonably priced...I come from a family of 10 so trust me...Costco will change your life! lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• We have a family of 6, plus my parents (who don't always eat what I make, but do most nights) and I typically spend about $100 each week on groceries. I shop at Aldi for most of my food, and I make homemade where I can. Honestly - shopping at Aldi saves me A LOT. I would definitely recommend it!

Have you made your own pasta?
    Jessica79

Answer by Jessica79 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have 8 people too, and it seems like a few days after I do at least 400 dollars in groceries..it all disappears lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 2:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You are going to have to portion meals well. Don't make extra so you have left overs, because you know they will eat anything you make.

It is hard feeding a large family when there are allergies to consider.

My family growing up was 5 people, but my cousins were also always in out house, which mde it about 8 people on a regular basis. My mom had the same menu almost every day. White rice, beans in red sauce and chicken, (she had a few ways of preparing the chicken). It made it a lot easier to feed all the people that came to eat at my house.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i have the same problem and we are a family of six!! my boys and dh eat like it's there last meal!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 2:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Buy in bulk. You can get oatmeal, rice and flour and other items in the bulk bins. They are much cheaper as you are not buying the packaging and advertising for the product. I also suggest coupons and using your grocers weekly flyer to plan your meals. Buy meat that is on sale etc etc. And instead of over buying items that may go to waste, plan simpler meals. Give up luxuries such as soda and ice cream. Make your own desserts from bulk items.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Aldi is fabulous!
    Make your own breads and pastas.
    Whole chickens are cheap and can be oiled down to make stock for soups.
    Shop multiple stores to get the best price (We shop at 3 a week. Aldi-Publix-Kroger)
    Only clip coupons of food you are already going to be buying
    try to use coupons in conjunction with sales
    bulk meals out with extra veggies and home made breads- Meat should be the smallest portion
    Go meatless once a week. Veggie platter or Mac and cheese
    breakfast for dinner- eggs, toast or pancakes(from scratch) and fruit.
    buy bulk when possible.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• sometimes when you make homemade meals for a large family, it costs more to put all the ingredients together then it does to buy one thing. i would suggest not homemaking meals everynight, simply buy cheap frozen pizzas for those days, some days we have deep fried days where we deep fry breaded cheese sticks and onion rings and fries.

my nieghbors had a good system going on and it saves on costs of making so many other side dishes. for every meal you make, serve the same side dish with it until you want to switch it up. my nieghbors always had rice as a side dish for every meal. its a good idea. switch it to a different side dish on days you can. if your family is allergic to rice, find your own side dish you want to be consistant of.

GL
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• try shopping at Aldi or save a lot if you have them. They are much cheaper then the other stores.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:14 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Have nothing to add except I know how you feel lol.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 11:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011