Does your city charge a late fee on water bills that are past due?

We have fallen behind on our water bill due to medical issues this year followed by a job change. Our city has charged us late charges on our bill in excess of $500! I can't believe they can do this! Its a utility, not a credit card! The gas and electric companies don't do this. I know they have late charges, but for the same amount as the usage charges? Someone tell me if I have a leg to stand on to fight this. Its not even worth making a payment on it because they will take it all in late charges the next month! Any help would be appreciated.

aussiegirl3

Asked by aussiegirl3 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Money & Work

• My water bill is only usually $20 but the late fee would be $10 if I paid it late. I think 50% of your bill is a little ridiculous...I would hate to know what kind of fees you are getting charged if your late fees alone are $500
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes, Don't they all?

Answer by louise2 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Your water bill is up to $500.00 and they haven't turned it off?! WOW are you lucky.
    Yes, our city charges a small late fee, nothing big. It's the one bill I always forget to pay. But it's only $3 or $4.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• where we live they charge a late fee of 25 then if its not paid by a date from there they turn you off and you have to pay the amount owed plus the late fee and the reconnection fee but i dont think htye should be charging you a late fee thats the same amount as your bill. Id look into that sounds fishy to me
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• They won't shut it off. I would expect late charges, like the person previously said..$5-10, but that amount is way extreme to me.
    aussiegirl3

Answer by aussiegirl3 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Wow...our late charge is 2 bucks. That is ridiculous hun.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I think they should charge a late fee. It is kind of an incentive as to say to pay your bill on time.If they didnt charge it people would be paying late all the time. Have you tried calling them and explaining your situtation. They may make an exception.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 1:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• YES! And they'll turn it off pretty fast as well!!!! No talking them down... LOL!!!
    smboutique

Answer by smboutique at 8:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2008