Breastfeeding question

My son has RSV and latchin and bfing is hard on him because he is so congested. he was losing weight so ive had to supplement per drs orders. i dont have a pump or id pump for him, what can i do to keep from losing my supply? he's 5 weeks

hfaddis

Asked by hfaddis at 2:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Health

• miss gdiamante will be all over this in a second :) I assume you've tried saline drops and sucking his nose out? But if you don't have a pump I'm not sure honey. But I'm thinking if he can eat from a bottle, he can eat from you. That sounded weird, but you get the idea. Why is nursing more difficult for him than a bottle?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• It's not nursing that is the problem, it's the position that you may have him in.

When we nurse, we tend to lay them flat. Bottle feeding allows us to prop them up. Change your nursing position. It may make it more uncomfortable for you but then you will not have to worry about it.

As for loosing your supply, you can hand express. It takes quite a bit of time but it can be done to keep from dwindling.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• One position is have him in a bouncer propped up and bring your breast to him from the front.

That way the congestion will go down instead of blocking the airway.

Also breastmilk tends to be thinner than formula so it shouldn't cause any blockage.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I recommend also squirting breastmilk in his nose it has antibacterial qualities and will help clear out his nose. Hand express if you have no pump. Put him to the breast skin to skin as much as possible.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• my only issue with hand express is the time it takes =) i have two other little ones at home to care for as well =) will try the bouncer and any other suggestions!
    hfaddis

Comment by hfaddis (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• you got some really great advice here mama! the rest is up to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• and im not real sure why but his pulse ox would drop bfing but not with a bottle so thats beena concern too
    hfaddis

Comment by hfaddis (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• get a pump...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• would it be possible to get a pump? you can store the milk you pump. There are some hand pumps out there that aren't too expensive.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You don't need a pump, just hand express it into the bottle. I used to express mine every day at lunch so I could keep producing and for my son to have milk while I was at work. Expressing by hand takes a bit of time and patience but I just couldn't see pulling my nips far into the plastic pumps. Good luck.
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 12:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2011