Did it backfire..............or not?

Have you ever insisted that your TEEN participate in something (like drama, music, a sport, a club, community service, attend a certain school) against their will? If so, how did it turn out and are you glad you did it? Or not?

got2boyztoo

Asked by got2boyztoo at 3:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I know many parents that force thier kids to do "something". My daughter is in drama club at her middle school and many kids are there for babysitting purposes. They don't take it seriously and ruin it for the kids who really want to be there. I don't think it's right to force a teen to do something, however if they don't participate in extra curricular activites they will have a hard time with college admissions. The colleges want to see well rounded kids. They are not interested in the kids that came home from school and sat around all afternoon. My son graduated with a 4.0 two years ago and was rejected from two colleges because of his lack of involvement. He did play a sport freshman year, but that was it. I wish we would have insisted he become more involved.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 8:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I've never made them JOIN but if they join they ARE going to finish the year/season.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 11:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I've never foced my children to join, but like brypmom if they did join they ARE going to finish.
    I really get annoyed as well when parents try to force their children into an activity they are not interested it, because it does ruin the experience for those that want to be there, and well the kid that is being forced is probably not really thrilled to be there either.
    I do think its important to talk to your children about the benefits of other activities, its important to also look at their strengths, talents and preferrences to suggest the right activities to help develop those gifts your child has. You wouldn't want to force a child that loves art to play football, or just the opposite. It's about guiding our children to be who they are.
    Both my boys are involved in every sport , one is in band and the other swing choir...they just like to do those things the older they get the more involved they want to be
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• After a certain age it really isn't worth the fight to get them to do something they really don't want to do. It just becomes a hassle making them go or do it.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I did make my son play baseball. After the inital crabbing about it he enjoyed himself, made friends and had fun. His doctor actually wrote a prescription for him to play baseball. He needed the socialization with kids his age because he does not get along with many kids his age due to his ADD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• No. I never made my teens do anything like that. If they want to do something I encourage them, and when they stop enjoying it, I let them stop. There was never a team thing.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I typically give my kids a variety of choices vs. forcing them to do something. My son would like nothing more than to sit around after school and watch tv and play video games. I told him that he needed to find an afterschool sport or activity to participate in. I gave him several options and told him he could also look into activities himself. He chose to join a boxing gym. He complied with my wishes but at the same time found something that he enjoyed and that he didn't need to be forced to go to.
    cege

Answer by cege at 7:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2011