Easy cake recipe for milk allergy?

its almost my oldests 3rd bday. my 16 month old is allergic to milk and i want him to have his own lil cake. plus if not family will be tryin to stuff him with sams cake and ice creama ahhh, any advice. sorry i suck at one handed typin and baby is asleep on me

hfaddis

Asked by hfaddis at 3:10 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I use lactose milk for drinking and add to cake mix and even mashed pts. so should be safe for you to use.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My DD is allergic to milk, but she is allergic to the milk protein casein, not the milk sugar, so lactose free milk does not work at all for her, she would still have a reaction and get sick.

Anyway, if you google Wacky Cake you will get a lot of recipes. It's a chocolate cake but has no eggs or milk in it. I make it for my DD and I often replace some of the oil with applesauce. Then you can make a little frosting or glaze with powdered sugar and rice milk or even water or orange juice. Or, you could try melting marshmallows on top. I haven't tried this yet but just had the idea to put marshmallows over the top of the cake right at the end of bakind and stick it back in the oven for just a minute to toast them up and then that is like the frosting.

Good luck, I know it's really hard to find stuff that's ok for your little one but it is totally worth the effort. My dd is allergic to milk, egg, nuts, and soy.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Why not use a plant milk, like coconut, almond, etc.?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• You can also do fruit sorbet as a replacement for ice cream as it is usually non dairy. They have lots of good alternatives to ice cream that don't have any dairy.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• he will probably just have a popcicle instead of ice cream, he likes those as a treat anyways. and thanks for the ideas, he has to have soy milk but i'm definitely going to check out the wacky cake and if its not somethin i can do right now i will try making a small cake for him and just replacing any milk with soy... wasnt sure it'd cook the same, this allergy thing is still pretty new to me. dr's keep telling me oh he will outgrow it, but they were saying that he'd outgrow it by 15 months first and that didnt happen so they keep pushing it back now lol... i dont mind if he doesn't though itd be nice for him since our area doesnt have much to offer in soy, such as cheese and such... but we will just learn it as we go i guess! thanks for all your help!
    hfaddis

Comment by hfaddis (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2011