Will We Be Separated In a Shelter?

My husband was in a MVA in September and was out of work for 2 months. Even though he is still in pain, he returned to work because we have'nt received a No Fault disability payment YET. Because of all of this, we were taken to court and told we we had to be out of our apartment by December 31. There is no way possible, that without the disability check, we will have enough money to pay a security fee and first month's rent for a new apartment. If we don't receive a check in time and have to go to a shelter, does anyone know if my son and I will be separated from my husband (legally married) in the shelter? Or will they house us as a family, possibly in a motel(they do it in N.Y. I just don't know under what circumstances) I live on Long Island in New York. Thanks.

MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 7:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • I have been homeless a couple of times and yes, they will keep you together as a family because you are married. Make sure to have your marriage certificate for proof and good luck sweetie. If you have any other questions about homelessness or need support, feel free to PM me.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have no idea but I wish you the best.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would think they would do there best to keep you together but if for whatever reason they cant they will for sure keep you with your son.
    Anonymous

• I think they'd put you up in a motel together. That's what the state was going to do for us when we were waiting for the sell of the house to go through and didn't have a place to go.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I believe they will keep you all together as a family. Documentation will more then likely be needed. Sigh. It really sucks that you are going through all of this. I wish you guys the best and will add you in my prayers.
    Beau2fullyPrego

Answer by Beau2fullyPrego at 7:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I'm sorry, I don't know, but I hope and pray for you and your family that you get your money soon and that you are able to get back on your feet soon! Is there any friends that would let you stay with them for awhile, until you can get things worked back out? I really hope things are better for you soon, and that your husband feels better soon, too!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Call your local Job And Family Services they may have assistance to pay for The rent and depost on a new apartment. Plus maybe some more assistance too.

myzero

Answer by myzero at 12:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2008