Do you think it's fair when they hire someone just because they look good?

I recently witnessed two people up for a job. One was a heavy girl, well dressed and pretty. Other was skinny and pretty. They hired the pretty one even though she didn't have an experience. The heavy girl had plenty of experience. Do you think this is fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• Of course not, but they'll figure out pretty soon how bad their decision was.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Of course not! But sadly, it happens. Tells you something about the person in charge of hiring.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i totally disagree with it but yes it happens all the time wherever you go at this day and age sex sells.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• The only way that would be acceptable would be if they have an equal amount of experience as well!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Ugh. No that's completely unfair, and depending on what the job was for she could probably do some damage to the company for discrimination if she really wanted to.... But who wants to work for someone that can pull something as scummy as that?
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Of course it's not fair but guys like eye candy so there going to hire girls that they can look at.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• IF they're strippers I suppose lol. At any other place I think it's wrong, although red robin and similar type restaurants are known to do that.

yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Unless you were the interviewer, how do you know that the skinny girl had no experience? How do you know how each candidate came across during their interview?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Both were kids I knew, so I was pretty aware of the experience for the job. As for personality, both are very similar, very outgoing and smart. However, the job was for a desk job out of view of other people, so not sure why looks had to be important.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Sure, If I couldn't wear my miniskirts and low cut tops, how would I ever get hired in an industry full of men?
    Anonymous