Why did I swell up AFTER giving birth?

I was induced because of preeclampsia. I was not swollen before going into the hospital (really i should have ask more question & seen if there was anything to do to stay pregnant longer, but i was a "good patient").. But I had dd around 3am & the next morning my feet & everything was so swollen!! I ask the dr. about it, he looked & squeezed my calf & said "dont worry we will keep an eye on it" Did this have to do with the preeclampsia? Or my IV? Is that normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• My feet looked like cabbage patch feet after I had my son. My doctor told me everything was fine, women retain water after birth, and also because of the iv fluids. Keep your feet up, relax...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• My best girlfriend had preeclampsia as well. She struggled with high blood pressure for about a week and a half AFTER giving birth. It'll take awhile to get back to normal
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• women balloon after giving birth. it's a lot more noticeable on smaller pregnant women. it really sucks. i deleted all pictures of me from the hospital because i didn't want people thinking i was fat when i was really swollen
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i didnt have preeclampsia but i was SOO swollen after giving birth. ive heard its from all the excess fluids you've been carrying around for 9 months. and the IV may keep you more hydrated than you're use to giving your body even more fluid to get rid of. i had grossly swollen feet for about a week after giving birth & my Dr said it was very normal.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Did you have an IV during labor? Many times it causes swelling.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• i did swell after i had my baby c-section...i couldnt even wear 3x mens joggin pants! normally i would have to tie them on..but i couldnt even barely get them on the day after the baby was born..it took about a week and all my fluid went away..i lost a total of 60lbs in 3wks...which left me 40lbs lighter than before i got preggo!!
    Anonymous